Utila Lodging - Laguna Beach Resort vs. Deep Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAShark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First, thank for all the info people have posted in response to my first posting. Again, my wife and I plan on going to Utila in early April. We've narrowed our choices to Laguna Beach Resort and Deep Blue. In addition to the boat dives we want to be able to do another 2 to 3 dives per day right from the resort so I can get in maximum time to learn my new camera's systems. We're not interested in driving around the island to do shore dives; it takes up too much time. What are the opinions of people who have been to either or both resorts as to shore dives from the resort? Other opinions about each resort will also be appreciated. Thanks.

I have stayed at Deep Blue twice. The care of guests are the top concern of everyone there. The shore diving is good, but the boat dives are better. Steve will take very good care of you. The only issue I had was the boat was a bit small and old, but this was a few years ago and they might have a better one by now. Good diving.

Joe

You might get a few more responses if you post this thread under the 'Bay Islands' section?

You won't be doing any driving around from either place, there's no way to cross from the peninsula they're both on to town except by boat.

To get out to the reef at Deep Blue requires you to be sure-footed as the entrance is over some coral/rock rubble. It was recommended to us to float all our gear out and then put it on in deeper water. There's a cut in the reef there that takes you out to deeper water - from there you can swim to about 2-3 divesites - mostly back towards Laguna Beach afaik. There's an unusual amount (for Utila) of boat traffic in the area, one of the sites is used for training by one of the in-town diveops so we saw several boats moor there daily. Boats from town going out to the west end run along there also.

Nice people work at Deep Blue. The food is great, you have several choices daily and the dive pkg. might be tailored to your needs, they do 2am + 1pm boat dives - on the days they night dive there was no afternoon boat dive (at least for us)

You'll be there during peak whaleshark season so they'll go looking for them after your morning dives. I'd do that in a heartbeat rather than shorediving. Except for one day we always managed to get back by about 1PM for lunch.

The accommodations for Deep Blue are right on the beach so there was almost always a breeze rustling through the palm fronds. All the decks face the water as well. And they have A/C. Rooms are basic but adequate. They have internet access in the dining room/bar/lounge, a nice bar and a pool table. And wifi (it's a little slow...) We had the closest room to the side of the lounge where the router was so I could connect from our deck.

It's supposed to be one of the three nicest places on Utila, Laguna Beach and Utopia being the others.

Not to deride Laguna Beach as I've never stayed there but the cabins all were on the lagoon. So there's no ocean view. They probably still get the breeze though, it's a pretty narrow strip of land and they're right on the point. Also we were tore up by sand flies just b4 the sun went down on the lagoon side - Deep Blue's dock/diveshack is on that side. Although it wasn't much better on the ocean side...lol. Bring Deet or an equivalent.

Steve Fox who owns Deep Blue posts here often. [user]deepbluedivers[/user]

Last edited:
I have stayed at Laguna and found it to be great. The Divemasters were excellent and if the Skipper on your boat is Wagner you are in for a treat. The cabins are very nice adn all have docks of thier own. Shore diving is easy and you can exit onto the on pier, then leave your tanks right there, they will bring them in. If you want to go into town they do provide transportation. Troy Bodden realy takes care of his guests, I can't wait to get back there from Wisconsin. Like another psoter I cannot comment on anyone else, never stayed there.

I know both operators and have dove with both. I also know the captains and most of the Dive leaders ( most are instructors) All are excellent. Both have plus and minus's. Laguna runs newer Newton dive boats and access to water for shore diving is a little easier at Laguna. However, the viz tends to get a litttle cloudy near Laguna because of tidal flow in and out of the lagoon. Laguna also tends to be more inflexible with their schedules than Deep Blue. Deep Blue's location on the reefs affords clearer water, even though entry is more difficult. Capt. Swin (Deep Blue) and Wagoner (Laguna) Exchange info concerning location of Whale Sharks to maximize opportunities for divers to see them. Swin historically will spend more time looking for them than Laguna Captains because of more flexible scheduling. Yes, Deep Blue operates an older boat but it was retrofitted last year with a larger turbocharged deisel. The Wal-Nut is now one of the fastest boats on the island. Rooms at Deep Blue are newer and have ocean views. Food at both places is very good. As has been stated previously, be prepared to use a repellent with deet morning and evening. Be prepared to use it also at both ops. docks. Either way......either place is a great bet.

I stayed for 7 days at Laguna Beach during a month in Utila and it was very nice, Search out Laguna on the boards and im sure youll find my complete review. However...if you are little more self sufficient, then I have another idea for you to consider. About 5 miles off of Utila is Little Cay Between the 2 is the combination of Jewel and Pigeon Cay which house a little community with fisherman, small homespun restaurants, some shops for food supplies etc. Water Cay was by far the most comfortable, beautiful, serene place i stayed during my trip. You are own your own private island with 360 degree ocean view, a small reef system right off your docks on the island as well with a good variation of life. The house on the island has a full kitchen, 3 bedrooms with 2 beds each and a small guest house/cabin as well. the lights are solar powered and will last through out the night but there is a generator as well that will power the house fully when it starts to get dark. 3 bathrooms and a huge tiled living room area that is nicely appointed. For a small fee you can have one of the locals from Jewel Cay transport you to/from Captain Morgan's Dive Centre on the Jewel. You are already sitting on the doorway to the usually preferred North side and will do most of your diving there. I recommend Cary Bush for the transport..he is a good friend of Capt Wagner from Laguna Beach and is simply one heck of a great guy. He picked us up whenever we needed, brought us back whenever we wanted to return and dependable as you can possible get and a great source of info. Seafood and the like can be had on the extreme cheap and is fresh off the boat, filleted for you and ready to take back to your kitchen. I only snorkled on the islands reef but I was told that Morgan's could arrange tanks/gear (contact them for verification) for me to take back to the island if I wanted. The price for this extra slice of paradise situated in the middle of heaven?...i payed 100 USD a night plus my diving fees for Captain Morgan's of course. If its not for you then I can still recommend Laguna without worry as they were top notch with beyond excellant service and great boats. The diving at Laguna is a bit more relaxed and caters more to the established diver but you cant beat that Little Cay experience.

Cant remeber if i posted pics of little cay in my album or not...ill check and throw some in there if i didnt....where ever you stay..Laguna, DeepBlue or somewhere else, your going to have a great time in a great place...ill be headed back myself for a month and a half some where around mid-july..:)

Ok I checked and there are some Little Cay Pics in there plus some Pics of The Laguna Fill station, boats etc... If you like I have tons of pics from those places as well as others that I stayed at in Utila on Facebook including bunches of scuba shots

Davey Crockett | Facebook

If the address doesnt work just do a facebook search on Davey Crockett and Ill add you, or anyone else who may be interested :)

Deep Blue took amazing care of us a few years back. Even though my husband and I were the only customers at the resort (got lucky!) they took us to dive sites all the way around the island. Steve and Jasmine were able to dive with us, which was quite a treat. Jasmin even made a cake for my husband's birthday. The house reef is wonderful, especially as a night dive. Sure, it was a bit tough on the entry but it was certainly worth it. My only complaint (very slight) is that the beds were a bit harder than I prefer...but I realize that I'm just picky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom