Rocky Mt. Tech Post #2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is the second post in my attempt to get a continuous communication among people interested in tech diving in the Colorado area. I think things are very much looking up after this weekend at the Blue Hole and Rock Lake. We clearly have a lot of people interested.

For those who were not there, we had a spirited (in all senses of the term) encounter in our rooms at the Adobe Best Western around dinner time Saturday night with quite a few people joining in. Many expressed interest in taking classes like intro to doubles, into to tech , tech I, etc. We talked about equipment issues, and I pointed out that we had some extra equipment that could be borrowed during those phases of development. No need to go out an buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

Access to Rock Lake is obviously an issue, since it is severely restricted. You pretty much have to be there under the auspices of one of the very few approved instructors, which is also something that can be managed if we go through the right steps.

Going back to equipment, one thing that forming some sort of club could do is allow us to get some shared equipment. One thing we could really use, for example, is a booster. Right now our group has 4 industrial O2 tanks at about 1,000 PSI, and if you understand how 3 gas mixes are made (helium first), you see why that happens. Mixing gases without a booster is a pain, and it is expensive. But then, so is a booster. If we were working together, we could make something like this work. Ideally, we would like to have a portable compressor and booster on site.

Anyway, our next planned trip to Rock Lake is January 22-24. I may or may not be there, depending upon circumstances. If people are interested in beginning some training or joining in our group in any way, let's start talking.

I am one of the guilty parties.

But I bought my doubles already, and the rig. Just have a vague idea of how to dive them. :) I did hear Ron tell me he would take a intro to tech class with me...

How much does a booster cost?

Justin

How much does a booster cost?

Justin

I don't have a precise cost, but I have heard numbers around $3,000.

I am looking at the UTD Intro to Tech course at the moment.

George is not a big user of SB, but he is on here if you want to contact him through this medium. His user name is rookers.

I am interested. I think I can speak for a handful of other guys up here that are interested in some type of club. Maybe we could have some type of meet and greet after the holidays.

I am having surgery on the 28th that will keep me out of the water for 8 weeks or so but would like to help any way I can to get the ball rolling.

You know I'm interested. :) .. I'm sure that I'll be at RL in January... Jason and I will probably do some practicing. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom