Preventing a cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live on Emergen-C packets all year long. It's like 1,333 times the recommended daily dosage of C and a bunch of other stuff. A packet mixes nicely in my water bottle on the way to work and I haven't had anything like a major cold or flu in years. I also echo the comments about the sleep requirement. You have to keep your bodys immune system strong and for me, I need good sleep to keep it there. When I feel run down, sleep-wise, I can almost feel the colds coming on. I jump in the hot-tub and then into bed and it goes away overnight.
Hey, Whatever works, right?

I am leaving for a dive trip in Cozumel in 4 days. Everybody around me has been sick for the last month. I've been taking Zicam and inmmunity supplements for the last few weeks however today I feel that I'm starting to get a cold. Do any of you have any ideas on what I can do to prevent getting a cold or shorten the duration? I've been planning this trip for the last 4 months and hate to miss the diving (first time in cozumel). I'm guessing there are many divers out there that have been in the same situatuion so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I started to respond to this post a couple of days ago with my great hints but am glad I did not as I am now getting sick and will probably have to cancel my trip to Amory's this Saturday. Looks like a week of diving is going to get away from me. As Garrabo pointed out - stay away from "snot-nosed kids". Just returned from visiting grandchildren and was on airplanes also - a double dose of germs.

Thanks for all the replies. Feeling a lot better this evening I think I was just a little paranoid. Still trying some of the suggestions as a preventative measure. Thanks again, it's great to have a place to ask questions about diving and get so much help.

I don't know who dreads "feeling" like I'm coming down with something before a trip more..me or my wife!! I'm super paranoid about the two weeks preceding a trip that I get physically freaked out! Case in point...I had my wife (who is a pharmacist at a local hospital) get me some surgical masks "just in case"...I got an email from my friend with a compressor who was going to fill my cylinders for me stating that he was home from work earlier than expected...he said he was coming down with a cold of sorts...I put on the mask and went to drop off my tanks! :rofl3: (I also left it on the whole time!):shocked2:

Anyway...I usually go into protective mode and start using anti bacterial soap, hand cleaner, and alcohol wipes on everything...so much that my hands dry out and chafe...then I do the Zicam and "Airborne" like mad, not to mention taking extra Vitamin C...knock on wood, so far I've been fine on my trips!

I also gargle with some vodka :eyebrow:

I got an email from my friend with a compressor who was going to fill my cylinders for me stating that he was home from work earlier than expected...he said he was coming down with a cold of sorts...I put on the mask and went to drop off my tanks!:

You're a :dork2: Didn't you see me sneeze into the compressor inlet? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom