Weekend Weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikefox

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed down to dive the Vandenburg this weekend and then I'm moving up to FLL on Monday and Tuesday. I see it's supposed to be windy, rainy and cool. I also see they are forecasting seas 4-6 feet (building to 8-10). Hopefully I get to do some diving.

Sounds like a powerful front is moving through. It is still pretty far off to guarantee the Lower Keys forecast shown below*, could be weaker, a bit stronger or spot on at this distant point. If the front is delayed, would advise getting out as early on Friday as feasible. I would check for Key West updates at: Coastal Waters Forecast for Coastal waters from the west end of the 7 Mile Bridge to Key West out 20 NM (GMZ054)

and for Ft. Lauderdale at:
Coastal Waters Forecast for Coastal waters from Deerfield Beach to Ocean Reef FL out 20 NM (AMZ651)

Still more resources at:
Weather Resources For SE Florida - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Hope things workout for your visit

As time goes on, the forecast and actual conditions will likely change to a degree.

Thursday...East winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas beyond the reef 2 to 4 feet. Seas higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 1 to 2 feet. Nearshore waters a moderate chop. Scattered showers developing.

Thursday Night...Southeast winds near 15 knots and gusty. Seas beyond the reef 3 to 5 feet. Seas inside the reef around 2 feet. Nearshore waters a moderate chop. Scattered showers and thunderstorms.

Friday...South to southwest winds 15 to 20 knots...increasing to near 20 knots and gusty. Seas beyond the reef building to 5 to 7 feet. Seas inside the reef building to 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters becoming rough. Showers and thunderstorms.

Friday Night...Winds becoming west to northwest 20 to 25 knots. Seas beyond the reef 4 to 7 feet. Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters rough. Showers and thunderstorms.

Saturday...Northwest winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas beyond the reef 5 to 8 feet. Seas inside the reef 2 to 4 feet. Nearshore waters rough. Isolated showers.

Sunday...Northwest to north winds near 20 knots. Seas beyond the reef 4 to 7 feet. Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters rough.

Monday...North winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas beyond the reef 3 to 6 feet. Seas higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef around 2 feet. Nearshore waters choppy.

I'm headed down to dive the Vandenburg this weekend and then I'm moving up to FLL on Monday and Tuesday. I see it's supposed to be windy, rainy and cool. I also see they are forecasting seas 4-6 feet (building to 8-10). Hopefully I get to do some diving.

Rick gave an excellent post - while things could change, the next few days (week actually) look really poor for diving.

This is the weather patern in S. FL - what can be expected until the end of April - its hit and miss - we get beautiful weather and calm seas for a few days, even a week - then a cold front comes down and the winds blow.

I tell friends; if you have one weeks vacation and want to dive in the winter - you are rolling the dice coming to FL - up until Friday of last week, we had a beautiful 5 or 6 days - sunny, calm seas, etc. Now this weekend looks like a blowout.

Sorry; wish the news was better for you.

If the weather forecast holds true with SW wind Friday night, W wind Saturday, and NW wind on Sunday, the Fort Lauderdale/Pompano boats will be running. Offshore winds from the west make it relatively calm near shore and the wrecks and reefs are under a mile from shore. West wind actually makes it flatter.

a5-winds-off-sm.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom