BSAC on “Hogarthian rigging” and “Primary take” for “out of gas response”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of us that are pretty much basic divers (read as: non-technically trained). . . What part(s) should we be laughing at, and why?:confused:

For those of us that are pretty much basic divers (read as: non-technically trained). . . What part(s) should we be laughing at, and why?:confused:

• Where both divers are vertical and facing each other in the water it will be necessary for the donor to rotate forward to facilitate deployment over the head.

• If the casualty approaches from the left side of or from behind however, the donor must quickly rotate forward and to the left to allow deployment of the long hose.

• If the casualty approaches from below the donor then it is necessary for the donor to roll forwards to facilitate deployment.
Because they are false.

• In contrast an alternative gas demand valve placed within the triangle of access combined with a long hose, stowed carefully under elastic bungees, either on the side of a cylinder or under the elastic ties of a wing or indeed any other method of hose stowage that can be relied upon to deploy efficiently without any action needed by the donor to ensure rapid deployment, works effectively and efficiently in all circumstances and with all equipment types or configurations, including rebreathers.
Because it's amusing to think that a regulator "placed within the triangle of access" will somehow magically be more accessible to a "casualty" approaching from the side, behind or below than will one in the donor's mouth.

I don't know about you, but I don't generally dive with things blocking my face, and if my head isn't attached to my shoulders, you probably don't want to come get air from my anyway.

I've got to wonder if any of the testers actually even bothered to talk with someone who dives hog, or even someone who knows someone who once talked with someone who once saw someone who dives hog. BTW: I don't dive hog, I dive classic.

The guys over on Yorkshire Divers are mostly flipping out about this. They seem to attribute it mainly to agency politics and grumpy old timers.

Deleted smart a$$ remark... sorry

Last edited:
All of it. I've never heard someone say so much without saying a damn thing.
While I realize many of us here on SB took the little-yellow short bus to school, how about helping out those of us that had to sit in the back of that bus (and quite possibly licked a window) with a little more info!:D

I'm still trying to find out which US technical training agency promotes OOA divers to grab the regulator out of your mouth without signaling.

I find it fascinating that they don't even want to teach this to their TECHNICAL divers . . . when just about every agency in the US has adopted the wrapped long hose as a basic piece of their gear configuration. Those misguided Yanks . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom