Pinnacle Freedom 2 socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James R

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Are you guys wearing additional socks? Says it comes with neoprene socks attached, but I'm not sure if anything more will be required for 50ish degree water for the average person and how much room would be there for more layers etc.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Attn SB police -- I must suck at the Internet or something. I can't find what I'm looking for (obviously) in search. :mooner:

A pair of hiking socks work for me down to about 10oC (50oF).

Rupert

I can wear 2 pairs of Smartwool hiking socks. So you see, it's whatever works for you. Part of the reason I wear 2 pairs of socks is to snug up my fins, not necessarily just for warmth.

I just got a Freedom 2 drysuit that I am about to use for the first time. I am planning on using one pair of merino-blend wool trail socks for comfort, but will experiment what works best for rock boots (I have the Pinnacle DS boots size 11) and fin fit.

BTW, if you did get the Freedom 2, did you have to trim your neck and wrist seals, and if so, how much (my neck size is 17" and the untrimmed seal feels very tight)?

Thanks

I would wear something under the socks...you won't need much, but like others suggested, a nice pair of wool or fleece socks will work great...cotton = not so great

As for trimming your seals, check out this video. Only take a little off at a time:
YouTube - Trimming your Drysuit Neck or Wrist Seal

Thanks for the link.

I have picked up some sock liners and a couple pairs of merino hiking socks in medium and heavy weights. My suit should be delvered tomorrow, so I have a couple things to do:
1 figure out what size chuck taylors I'll need
2 seal trimming
3 install dive rite p-valve (this makes me most nervous)

Hi james R,

Good luck on your Freedom 2 coming tomorrow.

I just tried mine out for the first time today in a 54 degree (F) pool without tanks just to try out the seal fit and underclothes. I have the Pinnacle temperate underclothes jumpsuit and used wool trail socks inside the neoprene socks. My hands were pretty cold though with no gloves.

My neck and wrist seals are pretty tight, especially out of the water, but in the water seemed to be much better as I did not pass out or turn blue. My neck size is 17" but I will try to use the suit a few times before starting to cut. Let me know what your experiences are.

Also, I notice that you are looking at Converse "Chuck Taylors" for boots. I was going to do the same, but found the Pinnacle DS boots at a good price, not too much higher than the CTs, and find them to be very good.

Thanks

Cool, where did you find the ds boots? Were those undergarments good in the 54 degree water?

Thanks!

I just got a Freedom 2 drysuit that I am about to use for the first time. I am planning on using one pair of merino-blend wool trail socks for comfort, but will experiment what works best for rock boots (I have the Pinnacle DS boots size 11) and fin fit.

BTW, if you did get the Freedom 2, did you have to trim your neck and wrist seals, and if so, how much (my neck size is 17" and the untrimmed seal feels very tight)?

Thanks

vicp,

I just looked and one of my dress shirts says 15--15-1/2 neck and I trimmed what seemed like a lot off of my seal. In fact it was making me nervous so I was trying to trim half a ring at a time. If you actually call Pinnacle's customer service they will give you a rough idea of how many rings you'll need to cut. I stretched my neck seal over a plastic vinegar bottle for a few days. Something a little bigger than my neck but not as big as a scuba tank. I then cut the seal with an art supply type razor blade while it was on the plastic bottle.

I'm surprised you didn't pass out if you tried that neck on uncut. I tried to get my wife to spot me when I was trying the suit on but she said, "you've got insurance".:idk:

I've got really thin wrists and I cut one wring off my right wrist but that was it.

By the way, do you guys' suits say Evolution on the inside label????

boat

boat sju,

My dress shirts used to say 15 1/2, but I up-sized to 16 for more comfort, but when I measured my neck with a tape measure, it said 17 (haven't worn the dress shirts in a while - but need to start again). Anyway, I pulled the neck seal fairly low, below my adam's apple, and while tight, it didn't kill me (yet) and was better in the water.

The wrist seals are the bottle type and I have told (by Pinnacle) that they trim mostly for length and that trimming them doesn't open them up more but makes them stretchier by reducing the amount of latex. Pinnacle also told me to try using the suit a few times before cutting (if possible) and that the neck seal first ring (~ 1/2 ") should probably be removed anyway. BTW, do you remember how much or how many rings you finally removed from the neck seal?

And yes, the inside label does say Evolution!

Back
Top Bottom