Snapper Ban

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Around here, I would say they need the regulations on the species mentioned in the posts.

no one is saying that no regulations are needed.

Some possible good news for the gulf:

By BEN RAINES and JEFF DUTE
Staff Reporters
Federal officials said a new red snapper assessment suggests that overfishing in the Gulf of Mexico has ended ahead of a 2010 deadline.

The population review also likely means the end of progressively lower limits and shorter seasons seen in the snapper fishery for the last several years.

Instead, officials believe limits should begin to increase incrementally in coming years. Ultimately, they said, the total snapper harvest will be in the range of 15 million pounds per year, versus the 5 million-pound limit in 2009.

The proposed catch total for 2010 is 6.9 million pounds, which will be split between recreational and commercial fishermen.

The final decision regarding 2010 red snapper limits will not be made until February.

Officials at this week's Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council meeting in New Orleans were optimistic that the upcoming season will be at least as long as this year's 75-day season.

Roy Crabtree, the National Marine Fisheries Service official in charge of snapper regulations, said a corner has been turned in the fight to end overfishing.

"It looks like the total allowable catch could be allowed to increase each year" going forward, Crabtree said. "It looks to me like we have ended the overfishing in the Gulf of Mexico as a whole."

But, Crabtree cautioned, it remains to be seen whether the 2010 season will be any longer than the 2009 season, despite the improved catch limits, because recreational fishermen caught nearly 2 million pounds more than they were allowed this year.

Tom Steber, Orange Beach Fishing Association secretary and co-owner of Zeke's Marina, hopes the new assessment will prevent further cuts to the number of fishing days or the daily bag limit.

Crabtree just announced that the Gulf RS population has "turned the corner". So why the restrictions?

We have had restrictions for as long as I can remember. There is a "season" where you are allowed to retain RS. The length of that season, and the number of RS you can retain is variable, and partially based on the amount of RS harvested each year (there is a quota). I say "partially" because sometimes it seems like there is some voodoo involved in those decisions. Some years the season has been ended prematurely because RS were harvested in greater numbers than estimated (we exceeded our quota early).

Even with seasons, we have marinas full of charter operations in Alabama and NW Florida.

There are many other alternatives to the closures.

Yes. I'm not smart enough to know the right answer, but I've seen slot limits work with redfish. Even though RS and redfish are apples and oranges, I think slots would have a positive impact. Keeping the first ____ number of RS you catch might be helpful as well. This would negate the need to return disoriented fish, and I'm perfectly happy eating a 14" RS. They're delicious. This wouldn't effect spearo's, and would probably make some charter captains mad, but I think the logic is sound.

In some fisheries, the closed season is related to spawning, and the protection of eggs, but my understanding is that the reason for RS seasons is simply to restrict the number (pounds of) RS being harvested.

Again, finite number of fish + increasing numbers of fishers = depleted resource. By establishing seasons, the decision makers can shut down the harvest once a certain tonnage of fish is landed.

They should wait until the new assessment is completed.

Perhaps. But IF your stocks are in peril, then the faster the close, the faster they can re-open, and personally, I would rather hunt in the warmer months. IF it HAS to happen, better that it happens in the off season. This is better for the charter folks too, as I'm sure their business is better during vacation season.

If a species is overfished, why still allow commercial harvest?

Agreed. The management is loosely tied together down here, but I don't know anyone (except commercial fishing interests) who thinks it is done correctly. Until you find an effective way to defeat their lobby, it will remain that way. CCA has made slow but steady progress down here in making the field a little less lopsided.

In the 17A documents it states-
"Biologically, under Alternative 1(Status Quo), it would be unlikely that the stocks would rebuild to a sustainable level within a predictable amount of tine, However if fishing related mortality was limited to the optimum yield level(75%Fmsy) the stock would rebuild with or without a plan"

That's why we're required to use circle hooks, and venting tools down here. Hook and line caught undersized fish must be vented before they are returned. Fish are still lost (we have a healthy porpoise and shark population that make their living shadowing fishing boats) but any fish that survives is a fish that we can catch and eat later (hopefully after making a few thousand baby fishes).

No one tactic can be successful by itself. Seasons, size limits, bag limits, habitat creation, stock assessment. Each element of the process enhances the other.

Why the "shut it down" attitude? If a resource is in such deep peril, why still allow commercial exploitation?

I don't see the establishment of seasons to be a "shutting down". I will agree that if the intent is to establish a closed season of every fish on the proposed list, that something is wrong. Either your stocks are dangerously depleted, or some decision maker believes that practically every edible fish in the Atlantic is in peril. Either way, they should include commercial fishers in the management plan.

Here on the East coast, they are not talking about a short season or bag limit

I may be reading it wrong, but to me it looks like a closed season, with an option to extend the closure for an additional amount of time after further assessment.

They are proposing a total ban on all bottom fishing from NC to the 28 line at Sebastian Inlet.
Think thats fair?

From what you have told me... No, that's pretty bad, and I can see why you guys would be upset. Even if that is a seasonal closure, a total ban on putting a hook in the water seems extreme.

Gulf politics & management decisions have nothing in common with our situation in the South Atlantic EEZ.

Our resource has been over-fished for years. We have been working very hard to turn things around. Everyone, from the charter captain to the weekend warrior has made sacrifices. Today, we have a fishery on the rebound, and will most likely see restrictions eased in the coming months. I would think that you guys would be interested in repeating our results. Management is an inevitability, but the method and success of that management are not.

Diving by NOAA permit & with a Team Ocean rep?
Watch & listen!

I'd still like to see a link on this.

They've torn down the whole damn house to replace the kitchen sink all because of junk science and lack of good data. Florida is fin-ished.

Diving by NOAA permit & with a Team Ocean rep?
Watch & listen!

Is this speculation or is it part of a new agenda?

Back
Top Bottom