Hi everyone! I'm new and thought I'd introduce myself.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Sparkle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,

I'm a new diver, and have just joined. Thanks for having such a great forum!

I grew up swimming and "goofing around" in the Great Lakes area. I've always loved being in or on the water. Rowing, sailing, swimming... and now, diving!

I did my first "real" snorkeling starting in 2000, when I was lucky enough to be cruising on a friend's sailboat. Jumped into the water in Panama (first real time swimming in the ocean - kind of scary compared to the inland lakes, where the biggest fear is a leech :cool2:

But wow, how amazing! Right away, there was a head of coral and a Blue Tang not three feet from my face. Totally, instantly hooked (but still looking over my shoulder for sharks).

I can't believe this now, but the second day we went snorkeling I was off (somewhat) by myself and saw an Eagle Ray "flying" toward me. At that stage of the game I had no idea whether or not they were dangerous, and I think I levitated about three feet out of the water, screaming "There's a big... something here. Help!" Heh.

That started a happy period of months of snorkeling in Panama and Belize, where I could just jump off the boat and go whenever I felt like it. Ah, those were great days.

I decided to get dive certified in spring of 2005 (58º lake water in spring. :cold:), and did two dives in the Keys that August. Not a great experience due to a boat driver who literally was pushing me into the water on a really bouncy, wavy day (I had waited to be last to go in, and had explained that I was a beginner before booking the dive). Not that I hated diving after that, but it wasn't great.

Then in January of 2008 I went back to the Keys. I spent some time driving from dive shop to dive shop to get a feel for them, and ultimately chose Abyss Diving in Marathon. We only got to do two dives due to time and weather, but it was a completely different experience. Great folks! The one negative was the rental equipment. Hard to get stuff that fits.

(I have two posts now in the exposure suits sub-forum to try to get advice on a custom wetsuit because I'm planning a dive trip to the Keys this winter.)

Nice to meet you all, and thanks again for such a great forum :happywave:

B.

Hi there!

Be careful Scuba is addictive ;-). Soon it will be your life & your paycheck too ;-). Just kidding. Welcome to Scubaboard ;-)

I think I levitated about three feet out of the water, screaming "There's a big... something here. Help!" Heh.

Probably looked hilarious! :rofl3:

Like Billy Connolly said, "There are two things that really motivate me under water - sharks and toilet paper."

two dives in the Keys that August. Not a great experience due to a boat driver who literally was pushing me into the water on a really bouncy, wavy day (I had waited to be last to go in, and had explained that I was a beginner before booking the dive). Not that I hated diving after that, but it wasn't great.

I shared this experience on my first Open Water dive.....everything has gotten so much better since!

Welcome to the group (newbie myself).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom