Regs breathing wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry couv, it's the LX (Apeks) that the op has problems with, the diagram you posted is of the unbalanced AquaLung Titan/Calypso.

Sorry about that. Here is the Legend. Not a good very clear picture, but if you look at the description key, you can see where the o-rings are by finding the corresponding numbers. Again, from the way the OP described it, it sounds like the most likely culprit would be item 17, 18, or 22

Couv

Legend_LX.JPG

Thanks for the posts.

I duly checked out sucking my second stage with no bottle attached and lo and behold there was clearly air getting in. It *seemed* to be from the connection to my hose to the second stage. I jiggled it a bit (to be technical) and the leak flow seemed to change. Wrench tightened the connection. Still the same. Detached second staged from hose and rubbed around the male hose connection in case any dirt or obstruction, re-screwed, re-wrenched gently and bingo, no more air coming in. Acid test will be in the water but it definitely seems like this'll have done the trick.

Gracias amigos,
J

You need to change the o-ring in your LP hose. Tightening the connection does nothing. It sounds like the o-ring (which is hidden in the swivel part of the LP hose) was pinched or something, now it's seating better. There is some pressure on that o-ring, about 130-140 PSI depending on your IP, so chances are if it's acting up it could let loose at an unfortunate time. Then you'll have a nice bubble shower and you can watch how quickly your high-flow 1st stage can drain a tank.

Matt,

Remember he said his reg was breathing wet so he must have had it under pressure while diving. If the o-ring at the swivel end was bad, then one would see lots of bubbles coming from that connection-just like when an inflator hose o-ring goes bad at the q.d. (or a h.p. spool o-ring.)

Couv

On the couple of occasions when my Titan LX or Apeks seconds (Legend is the same) suddenly began to breath wet, the culprit was one of the o-rings on either end of the air barrel--17 and 18 on Couv's diagram. I can't say with certainty which one, since, rather than mess around, I pulled out the air barrel and replaced both. I did, however, suspect the one at the venturi end.

All of the answers are good but if it was ok then all of a sudden started breathing wet check the exhaust valve as it probably got turned in due to washing with a to strong flow of water when washing out the salt.

All of the answers are good but if it was ok then all of a sudden started breathing wet check the exhaust valve as it probably got turned in due to washing with a too strong flow of water when washing out the salt.

Matt,

Remember he said his reg was breathing wet so he must have had it under pressure while diving. If the o-ring at the swivel end was bad, then one would see lots of bubbles coming from that connection-just like when an inflator hose o-ring goes bad at the q.d. (or a h.p. spool o-ring.)

Couv

I'm not saying that his wet breathing was caused by a leaky o-ring at the hose, because as you said (me too) if it leaked under water it would cause a big bubble shower. But, if it was letting in air when he checked it on land, and if it changed just by removing the hose and putting it back on, that's an indication that it's a pretty iffy seal, and I would change it.

The only place for leaks that cause wet breathing without a huge bubble stream is in the 2nd stage downstream of the seat/orifice. That means diaphragm/exhaust valve/case/mouthpiece. But of course you know all this stuff, and it's already been posted on this thread.

Si, that is why I did not mention them....

The reason I pasted a diagram was to point out the air barrel seals (items 17 & 18 and perhaps 22) are seals that can cause a second stage to fail the vacuum test, and to breathe wet. Unfortunately a cracked case can do the same, which is why I try to caution folks here to use a backup wrench when removing the air barrel or disconnecting the hose from a plastic case.

This is what makes me suspect item 18

.....Detached second staged from hose and rubbed around the male hose connection in case any dirt or obstruction, re-screwed, re-wrenched gently and bingo, no more air coming in.......

The swivel seal is a separate issue, and I recognize that you have quite a bit of experience rebuilding regulators; but I have to respectfully disagree with your diagnosis in post #13. If the swivel seal is compromised, it could not cause a vacuum leak unless the adjustable orifice (crown in AL speak) o-ring also failed AND the seal between the hard and soft seat were not made.

I rest my case .....but it is a metal case!

Couv

The swivel seal is a separate issue, and I recognize that you have quite a bit of experience rebuilding regulators; but I have to respectfully disagree with your diagnosis in post #13. If the swivel seal is compromised, it could not cause a vacuum leak unless the adjustable orifice (crown in AL speak) o-ring also failed AND the seal between the hard and soft seat were not made.

I rest my case .....but it is a metal case!

Couv

Are you sure? You inhale which collapses the diaphragm, pushes the lever, pulls the seat off the orifice, and in comes air from a leaky LP hose o-ring. Am I missing something? It's just like drawing air on a 2nd stage that's not attached to any hose.

Back
Top Bottom