Bob Evans Designs-VAULT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In 1979 Bob Evans was designing underwater camera systems, documenting the underwater Natural History of the Santa Barbara Channel and designing Force Fins. These photos were taken aboard his vessel the "HAIK"
be_topsidecamera.jpg

This camera was a black and white video camera that could record images to a depth of 500 FSW.
be_topsiderigging.jpg

The Haik was his research vessel for 8 years while documenting life found under and surrounding the Santa Barbara Oil rigs and Northern Channel Islands.

Bob -you mean- Spider Man...Fins?
spider1_be.jpg

If you look under this fin you can see that it uses the same design concept that Bob was using in the late 70's
comparefin.jpg

Freedom of your foot.
orangeshin_be.jpg

spiderfin_be.jpg

The two fins actually both share up curved wing tips as well. If we go to the very beginning to the first ever Polyurethane Force Fin you can see that Bob was using part of the shin to transfer the strain of moving the fin through the water to the larger leg muscles. After numerous hours in the water he realized he could solve the problem by making an open foot pocket.
shinfin1_be.jpg

Blair and Bob,

Thank you so much for the historic photos, I love seeing the history documented!! Being a relative newcomer since I was 8 in 1979 when Bob was developing his underwater camera and have been using FF for only 11 years I love seeing how things evolved over the decades of development. Please keep them coming!

Mark D.

thats a bizzare (yet amusing...) piece of history :)
they remind me of the concept of "shinfins"...
i wonder whats next in this new thread (looks like its gonna be quite a good one) :D

Wow... tha-that's BOB??? He had hair!

What a wonderful trip down Scuba History lane. DON'T STOP NOW. Keep posting these! (please)

thats a bizzare (yet amusing...) piece of history :)
they remind me of the concept of "shinfins"...
i wonder whats next in this new thread (looks like its gonna be quite a good one) :D

I think you have it wrong, shinfins should remind you of these things that predate the shinfin by some 20+ years.

Wow, keep the photos coming! It's always good to see the timeline (in photos) of the developmental process. It lends that much more personality and culture to the whole Force Fin experience.

Teem, Thanks for your support, today I pulled out more images, they are flowing out like a fountain and I am glad to share them with you. Blair has his work cut out and I am Honored to work with him each day, Best, Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom