Official 7th Annual Venice Beach Turkey Fry Thread Sponsored by Scuba Quest!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One happy beachgoer:

Dunno if any of you have ever been to "Big Sky" aka Montana. The sky truly seems to be bigger than anywhere else in the country (because it is unobstructed by anything) hence, it being called Big Sky. This pic reminded me of being there (btw, Blondes daughter in the pic) - was even more awesome because the dolphins kept coming out to play:

Thanks again all. I really enjoyed the day. Seriously was not ready to leave.:D btw, Smiley and Scott - was Chris FINALLY allowed some turkey??????

Last edited:
Sounds like a good time. Wish I could have met some of you down there. Any report on the vis/temp? I am thinking about going down to Venice tomorrow.

Sounds like a good time. Wish I could have met some of you down there. Any report on the vis/temp? I am thinking about going down to Venice tomorrow.

Viz was about 6" average and the temp was at 68. I believe the forecast said we were going to continue to have east winds but I don't know how much that will help for tomorrow's diving. I'm guessing one of the other more knowledgeable Venice divers will pop on tomorrow an be able to give a better guesstimation as to the viz being better or not...

Thanks! Wow. I guess I wouldn't even need my contacts. May have to dive off the kayak somewhere else.

Great pictures! Especially like the rolling dolphin and the hearty BluewaterBrad returning from the deep. What a great day!

I like the happy beach goer.:)

Brad - Mac and Cheese is officially all gone :D

Ann, recipe (posted here in case anyone else wants it as well):

CHIPOTLE CHEDDAR MACARONI AND CHEESE
Yield:8-10 servings
1 pound cavatappi or curly pasta
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup onion, 1/2-inch diced
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups heavy cream
3 cups half and half
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
3/4 pound smoked cheddar cheese, grated; see cook's notes
1/4 pound cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Cook's notes: Smoked cheddar cheese is available at Whole Foods and Bristol Farms.
Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot, bring 1 gallon of water to boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and pasta and cook for 8-9 minutes. Drain pasta and cool under cold running water. Pasta should be slightly firm. Toss drained pasta in oil and reserve.
2.Melt butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, but do not brown. Add cream, half and half, kosher salt and white pepper. Bring pot to a simmer. Cook until sauce is thick, about 5-6 minutes. Blend cheese into sauce. Add cooked pasta.
3. Pour pasta and sauce into a 9-by-12-inch baking dish. Reserve.
4.In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add oil and chipotle chili powder. Heat for 30 seconds, until pan starts to smoke. Remove from stove and stir in bread crumbs.
5.Sprinkle bread crumbs over the pasta and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Cool slightly before serving.

Did anyone find any sharks teeth or other fossils?

As bad as the viz was, I found a couple, just to prove they were there. Nothing noteworthy!

Thanks again all. I really enjoyed the day. Seriously was not ready to leave.:D btw, Smiley and Scott - was Chris FINALLY allowed some turkey??????

Yes, Chris FINALLY was able to enjoy some turkey... still officially a "Thanksgiving" bird... fried just like at home... it was just a few days late.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom