Help me decide : San Andrès or Roatan !!!

Columbia or Honduras ??

• San Andrès, Columbia.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Roatan, Honduras.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark_tamer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning my next dive vacation this coming February 2010 and I have narrowed it down to 2 destinations I didn't visit yet.

- San Andrès, Columbia

- Roatan, Honduras

I have heard good comments on either destinations and both are roughly the same price ....

I'm looking on feedback on:

- Dive sites : Apparently, The Odyssey ( wreck ) is now broken in 3 and not what it used to be !

- Dive center : Which ones do you recommend or stay away from !!

- Diving in general at either destination.

Resort wise, Decameron Aquarium in San Andrès and Mayan Princess or Infinity Bay in Roatan would be my choices.

Help me decide on where I'm gonne be diving in February !!!!

Hey Shark_tamer, I have not been to San Andres, so I can not give any opinion about it. I would be happy to show you the beauty of Roatan's underwater world. Mayan Princess or Infinity Bay are good choices, we are located at the Mayan Princess offering services to "outside guests" too. If you choose Infinity, we can pick you up in the mornings. Roatan is beautiful, peaceful and has good diving. Check us out at mayandivers.com and send me a mail if you have questions. Always happy bubbles, Anja from Mayan Divers, West Bay Beach, Roatan, Honduras.

I can not really compare the two, never being to Roatan but I can tell you anything you need to know about San Andres Island. I have dove with every dive op in San Andres at one time or the other, some are better than others but they are all good, all reasonably and comparable priced. If you are staying at the Aquarium, for simplicity, dive with the onsite dive op Divers Team. If I am diving with a dive op I dive with Karib Divers, just down the road from Aquarium or Sea Garden in Mar Azul, they will not have a problem picking you up and dropping you off for you dives.
If you are into shore diving San Andres has a couple dozen sites, that most people dont know about. The only down fall is having to climb through the rocky shoreline. I only know one person offering this service and he is an independent instructor. I think it is around $250 for 10 tanks but dont quote me....if your interested I can fnd out for you....
Ciao
Tad

Unlike the previous two locals, I have been to both places.

Night and day, both good. How on Earth do you place them side by side? What criteria are you using?

If you lay that out, we might be able to better see your needs and give you a legitimate, reasoned reply.

Night and day, both good. How on Earth do you place them side by side? What criteria are you using?

HUMMM.... coming from RoatanMan, I would presume that one of the two destinations would be highly recommended !!!! I wonder what SanAndrèsMan might says !!! :wink::rofl3:

If you lay that out, we might be able to better see your needs and give you a legitimate, reasoned reply.

Easy ....

1) Looking for a "sunny" diving destination .... not a cold water diver !!! :wink:
2) Looking for a destination I haven't already been.
- Cuba 6 times.
- Jamaica 2 times; was just there last October.
3) Should be diving in Mayan Riviera with a group in July 2010.
4) Not planning to dive Indonesia or Pacific this year.
5) This trip's budget 2500$. ( I depart from Canada )

:coffee: Got enuf info ?

Easy ....

1) Looking for a "sunny" diving destination .... not a cold water diver !!! :wink:
2) Looking for a destination I haven't already been.
- Cuba 6 times.
- Jamaica 2 times; was just there last October.
3) Should be diving in Mayan Riviera with a group in July 2010.
4) Not planning to dive Indonesia or Pacific this year.
5) This trip's budget 2500$. ( I depart from Canada )

:coffee: Got enuf info ?

From that info, yes- Either of these great destinations will suit you well.

I've been to both places. Roatan has more dive sites, a lot more fish, and is one of the least expensive dive destinations in the Carribean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom