Rental Car insurance when Diving Abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_scuba_steve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to Bonaire in a few weeks and looking for options on rental car insurance. The place I plan to rent from offers CDW or full coverage but full coverage is $19 per day and CDW is $11.

DAN has rental car insurance too but it appears to be just CDW for $11. Are there any cheaper options to get full coverage?

I have heard of some people using their American Express card insurance.

I would reccomend getting the insurance. A few years ago on our first trip to Bonaire we got hit going fairly slow but in the Passenger door. No one was hurt and no hassles because we took the insurance.

Even though it is a small Island with no stop lights (other than the Pizza Place) there are some impatient drivers there. One of the few things the locals want to do fast I guess.

I would check with my insurance agent------we are always told under our insurance plan we're covered for every thing, big or small......dun know, you may be pleasantly surprised........It also may depend on were you're going---& saying that we've never been to Bonaire.....

One thing to consider, you may be covered by your standard insurance or credit card rider, but that route may require a lot more paperwork and it may be a case where you have to pay the damages and seek reimbursement later.

checked with allstate and they only cover Canada, US and possessions and 60 miles into Mexico. Got a plan from American Express charge on their card and for 24.95 for the rental covers vehicles up $100,000. oo excluding exotic vehicles

One thing to consider, you may be covered by your standard insurance or credit card rider, but that route may require a lot more paperwork and it may be a case where you have to pay the damages and seek reimbursement later.
That's what has always worried me. Will they accept my American Express or DAN coverage or will I have to pay in full to leave the country, then hope to get reimbursed? Paying in full in the worst case scenario would be scary.

Also make sure to check the fine print when using your own insurance (or AmEx, DAN, etc). Most exclude trucks and only cover cars. I typically use my World Mastercard which has car insurance on it, but it won't cover trucks, so we always get the CDW on Bonaire. Figure its better to be safe than sorry.

Don, as I understand it if you have a problem and you're using AmEx, you put the charges on your AmEx card and then AmEx will deal with it. So you do pay up front and hope.

I have been working on this issue the last few days. I am going to Mexico, flying into Cancun and driving to Mahahual. According to my Citi Diamond card I do not have to take the CDW in Mexico. According to the car rental agency I do. I thought about it and the possbible hassle and decided to eat the extra 300 for peace of mind. In the end its a small part of a larger bill.

I get the insurance on Bonaire - it is a truck, you go off road at all dive sites - whether you like to admit it or not and it's worth the peace of mind!

World MasterCard also covers the CDW, however if you don't take the rental car's insurance you may have to pay and then sort it out later.

When I've been on 2 week trips to out of USA countries, I trust World MasterCard to handle it. But if renting anything for a short time that can be considered a "truck" and doing anything that can be considered "off road" - I'd get the local rental insurance.

And this is only the WORLD MasterCard - a car that is difficult nowadays to obtain.

Back
Top Bottom