Rat Bastards wiped out my bank account!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How can the bank or visa or mastercard the clearing houses for the transaction NOT have the address and bank routing number and account name and number to find this person???????? It is odd that they have had to pay the money into a account but don't have the information?

Now calmness . . . . :zen:

He did not say that. That information can be released under proper request (subpeona).

The first step in these things is for the individual and the firm to work it out. They have 10 days to do so.

Many banks offer "immediate" fund replacement until resolution. It is not "replacement", it is a (fee or no-fee) loan until your money is returned.

In this case, given that the ceramics industry is small and not given to these issues (like electronics / computers), it is more likely that someone misread a card number over the phone and the firm is going "oh, :turd:" as much as poor Ghost.Diver.

Still, in today's environment (ID Theft is the largest and fastest-growing consumer crime.

That's the oddest request I have heard in awhile. That's their job! The ease of doing business with checking accounts, credit cards and debit cards has much more to do with bank's and merchant's profit margins than our convienence. Surly the bank has their own fraud department to make contact with such perpetrators. I had the same thing happen to me last year for $3K including fraudulent electronic checks made payable to Walmart, etc. The funds were put bank into my account the next day but of course I had to submit to a phone interview in order for them to verify my innocence....

Yea, that sounded pretty lame to me as well. If I understood correctly, since it is a VISA backed debit card, the CU doesn't do the investigating, VISA does. The transaction shows a "TRACE #" and I questioned the CU about it and they said that is for VISA to investigate, CU doesn't have any idea what to do with that number.

Wish I had your bank! It's already been turned over to VISA so hopefully by the 10th day, I'll have the funds replaced.

Jax,

Got a couple ?'s for you. Not sure what you mean by "recredit" and "boilerplate" Could you explain. Thanks

If I may. Recredit - Immediate refunding of your account for total amount withdrawn involved with fraudulent charge.

Boilerplate - Standard lauguage for making typical garden variety type requests.

Both requests are SOP in banking...

Yea, that sounded pretty lame to me as well. If I understood correctly, since it is a VISA backed debit card, the CU doesn't do the investigating, VISA does. The transaction shows a "TRACE #" and I questioned the CU about it and they said that is for VISA to investigate, CU doesn't have any idea what to do with that number.

Wish I had your bank! It's already been turned over to VISA so hopefully by the 10th day, I'll have the funds replaced.

Ghost, CU is the key here. Like with anything else CU's are better in some areas such as lower fees, etc. but pale in comparison to Wachovia/Wells Fargo (mine) and other commercial banks to quickly deal with such issues.

Can you imagine them telling your mother or some teen age girl to call such a person? Ludicrous!!! :shakehead:

Tracking expenses--yea, good idea....:wink:
Road trip to NC...got couple on my Extreme duty tires (3600psi cold),two had to be replaced...had to by new rainsuit from DUI since I tore it while changing my tire 3600psi tires...:D:D

:lol: :rofl3:

If I may. Recredit - Immediate refunding of your account for total amount withdrawn involved with fraudulent charge.

Boilerplate - Standard lauguage for making typical garden variety type requests.

Both requests are SOP in banking...

boilerplate -- you make one letter that can be sent to all (the boilerplate), and then just change the "to address" and print.

Just to update this issue,

VISA deposited the amount in question on 11/17, with the understanding that if their investigation finds that I am at fault, they will take it back. They have something like 30 or so days to investigate the charge in an attempt to recover assets.

So, here's a brief timeline;

11/10 unauthorized charge discovered, CU notified, card cancelled
11/11 all concerned agencies contacted (LE, VISA, CB's, FTC)
11/17 VISA recredited account

So, what have I learned from all this?
Check accounts often for any suspect activities/charges
If something is found, get the ball rolling ASAP
If you can't find the ball to get it rolling or your not sure in which way to roll it,
reach out and ask for help--you'll get it! :D:D

Thanks to everyone who got involved and offered assistance and advice!

So sorry, ghost.diver! Had a smilar experience with a Pay Pal account about 3 months ago. We were lucky that it was only for about $300 and it was resolved right away. But it has still been a royal pain in the a**. We put freezes on all of our credit reports for applying for new credit, had to work with 2 checking accounts until all outstanding checks cleared, had several auto deducts not go through correctly, fighting to get late fees/penalties removed, and opened a new account, get new checks, etc (not to mention I now am trying to memorize a new account number to replace the one I had for over 20 years). Unfortunately I think this is all going to get a lot worse as people become more computer saavy and the economy continues to be so crappy. We check our bank accounts every single day...Makes you angry that some idiot can be so cruel to mess up somebody's life like that. I try to keep it in prespective..at the end of the day, nobody died from it so I guess it could have been a lot worse. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom