Changing a Bladder in a Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAngel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so the bladder in my wing has a small tear in it. :depressed: I took it out and duck taped it up and put it back in. It works fine (out of the water). I called the company to buy a new bladder, but they want me to send my wing to them for them to replace the bladder, no charge, except for shipping. :no: I want to dive this weekend.

I think, if I can pull out the old bladder and put it back it, then I can put in a brand new one, too.

How hard is it to change out a bladder?

Maybe they want to see the wing to see if it has any damage. They may replace the bladder for free if it failed due to no fault of yours, but if the wing has a huge tear in it right next to the hole in the bladder they may charge you... Just a thought.

Ok, so the bladder in my wing has a small tear in it. :depressed: I took it out and duck taped it up and put it back in. It works fine (out of the water). I called the company to buy a new bladder, but they want me to send my wing to them for them to replace the bladder, no charge, except for shipping. :no: I want to dive this weekend.

I think, if I can pull out the old bladder and put it back it, then I can put in a brand new one, too.

How hard is it to change out a bladder?

They're offering a free replacement bladder? My god, give it to them and let them do it right. Borrow a wing from a friend for this weekend :)

Gombessa, No, they are not offering a free bladder, just the service of replacing it. They don't want the "average" consumer to do the replacement on their own. They say it needs a special tool... yeah, I've heard that one before... but I was able to take out the bladder and replace it withoout the "tool" twice already.

Stanguy, That's a good thought, but the wing and bladder are about 6 years old and have over 300 dives on them. The bladder just wore out due to use (and, possibly, packing issues)

Gombessa, No, they are not offering a free bladder, just the service of replacing it. They don't want the "average" consumer to do the replacement on their own. They say it needs a special tool... yeah, I've heard that one before... but I was able to take out the bladder and replace it withoout the "tool" twice already.

Yeah, I've heard the tool thing before, and most of the time you can get by fine without it. One of those "you don't need it till you need it" things.

However, it sounds like sending it back is still worth the trouble--let the manufacturer service it to their level of quality. They'll charge you for the bladder, but you were planning on spending money for it anyways, Also, if you just bought a bladder from them, you'd still have to pay shipping for it. Chances are, if you return an item for service, they'll cover your return shipping, so that's a wash.

It's great that you can do the replacement yourself, but assuming you can swipe a spare wing for the weekend, I don't see how you're losing anything by sending the wing back.

Yeah, I've heard the tool thing before, and most of the time you can get by fine without it. One of those "you don't need it till you need it things."

It's great that you can do the replacement yourself, but assuming you can swipe a spare wing for the weekend, I don't see how you're losing anything by sending the wing back.

awww... the air of intelligence. I probably should just send it to them. But, I am impatient. Perhaps, too impatient. :blinking:

Back
Top Bottom