OMS vs Pst?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Thomas of PST, btw what's happened to Thomas haven't seen him around lately, the PST 104 weighs 46.4 Lbs including the cylinder, valve, and boot. It's bouyancy is -4.8 Lbs (empty) and -12.6 Lbs (full) in salt water, including the valve and boot. I assume empty means empty and full is @ 2640 PSI.

Originally posted by Warhammer
According to Thomas of PST, btw what's happened to Thomas haven't seen him around lately, the PST 104 weighs 46.4 Lbs including the cylinder, valve, and boot. It's bouyancy is -4.8 Lbs (empty) and -12.6 Lbs (full) in salt water, including the valve and boot. I assume empty means empty and full is @ 2640 PSI.
Well, lessee how the math works out...
-4.8 to -12.6 is a difference of 7.8 pounds, or about 96 CF of air. A PST 104 filled with 96 CF would be at just a hair over 2400 psi, the normal working pressure of the tank, so the numbers work.
Rick

FWIW, I am still working my way through the "DIR fundamentals" manual I picked up a few weeks back....finally made it to the tank section tonight. They are pretty specific in their recommendation to avoid the OMS/Faber tanks and stick with PST due to the potential for the painted OMS/Faber finish to hide rust.....

Well, rust is the major issue for the OMS tanks. Rust hides under the paint and is hard to detect. As everyone knows, if the rust isn't caught quickly, you've got a worthless tank on your hands.:tree:Bob.

As a conclusion to this thread, I dove both sets for about 20 dives apiece and immediately purchased 2 sets of PST 104's. For the applications that I will be using them for, they are as close to perfect as you can get.

Divesherpa,
You made a good choice. The more you dive with them, the more you'll appreciate them. Occasionally I let a buddy dive with mine and they always say, I love those tanks! Dive safely.:tree:Bob

Back
Top Bottom