What Gear to take on a Plane Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually it wasn't so much specifically for diving as it was just me looking for a decent carry-on. What bags do you guys use then?

The best deal on checked dive bags I have ever used: High Sierra Rolling Duffel Bag - 36" Drop Bottom - Save 60%

A lot of people look at it and buy the one from Costco thinking they're identical- they are not. We have 7 or 8 of these and never have retired one from airline abuse.

Carry on? Remember the truism... carry nothing in your hands. Always a shoulder strap, or better yet, a backpack.

I think you would really have to be causing a problem to get them to enforce it to the millimeter, but 22" x14" x9" is a nice target (a total of 45") for carry on....

For $60, these work great as "Cabin Luggage": Level III Assault Pack

As my additional "personal item", I put all camera gear, computers, watches and toys in one of these: Maxpedition MPB Multi-Purpose Bag

We do this SCUBA air travel thing a whole lot. This stuff works.

I take advantage of carry-on big time as I both dive, and enjoy photography.

I take on a Lowe Pro backpack, and a roller bag. I carry on my camera gear, and some dive gear like my mask, computer, regulator, dive lights/batteries. Basically most electronics get carried on diving or otherwise, and some basic dive necessities.

This tends to be a tedious process as baggage handlers go through one or both of my carry-on bags about every other time through the gate. The combination of dive gear, batteries, electronics, and camera gear seems to be a magical attraction to a baggage handler.

I pack my housing and the rest of my dive gear, and check it. Diving/photography is a baggage killer, so if you are going out of country, less is better as they often weight carry-on, and mine gets a bit heavy.

I have done Coz with a killer amount of stuff, but that was several years ago, so not sure what the baggage restrictions are like going there now. Likely not much different, but you may get charged.

I shipped my housing/UW strobes/arms etc. last time around, and that worked out well even if it cost me a few bucks. I shipped in USA, and to the boat I was diving aboard.

I take everything I need to dive, and generally a backup first stage and mask.

The one thing I don't take a lot of is clothing! :D

The wife and I have found that a large Samsonite will hold 2 sets of fins, 2 BC (Knighthawk and Diva), lights, 2 shorties and other accessories and weigh right at 48 pounds. Regs, computers, mask and camera goes in a carry on. So we have 1 suitcase for cloths and 1 for gear.

The best deal on checked dive bags I have ever used: High Sierra Rolling Duffel Bag - 36" Drop Bottom - Save 60%

A lot of people look at it and buy the one from Costco thinking they're identical- they are not. We have 7 or 8 of these and never have retired one from airline abuse.

Carry on? Remember the truism... carry nothing in your hands. Always a shoulder strap, or better yet, a backpack.

I think you would really have to be causing a problem to get them to enforce it to the millimeter, but 22" x14" x9" is a nice target (a total of 45") for carry on....

For $60, these work great as "Cabin Luggage": Level III Assault Pack

As my additional "personal item", I put all camera gear, computers, watches and toys in one of these: Maxpedition MPB Multi-Purpose Bag

We do this SCUBA air travel thing a whole lot. This stuff works.

Well, just ordered the assult pack and the Maxpedition. Their maiden voyage will be to AKR 12/26-1/2. Thanks for the lead. RoatanMan

Tanks and weights stay home. Everything else is packed. Regs/computer go in my carry on. Just packed it all up, flying in a few hours & only about an inch is left for clothes ;-). Good thing it's the tropics!

I carry on MASK, regs, computer,drysuit. I find the drysuit easier to pack both ways. I hate having wet things to pack. Sure, they laugh at me in the tropics with a drysuit but who cares? The last two trips, I have been taking my regs apart to make them easier to pack. Anyone else do this? Gives me a lot more room.
Greg

No one's mentioned it previously, but one last thing to bring is a recently printed copy of the TSA regulations relating to traveling with scuba gear. I once met a well-intentioned screener who was initially hesitant to allow my regulator to travel in my carry-on because my 2nd stage wasn't radio-opaque and she'd been told in a class that "if it's not radio-opaque it can't go in a carry on." Requesting a supervisor and providing a copy of the TSA Reg on dive gear did the trick. Sometimes the folks are unfamiliar with scuba gear and might not be up on what the TSA says is ok.

My carry on usually holds my BP/W, reel, reg, computer, mask & u/w camera... all stuff I'd rather not rent if the checked bag winds up in the Phillipines while I arrive in West Palm Beach.

The reason I iput almost all my gear in a carry on is because my first time to Bonaire, my checked luggage was 5 days late arriving and I had to buy and rent too many things. So I am overweighted in my carryon but I manage to take: mask, BC (Seaquest Eva), regulator computer, SeaLife camera, charger and housing (do put the strobe in checked luggage), bathing suit, wetsuit, pjs, one set of shorts,sandals. the carryon is the largest legal dimension but does weigh more than it should. Too bad. Don't want to lose my stuff again. And I never take a log book, just some blank pages to fill out and bring home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom