Hello all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boost1995

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all, i'm glad I found these forums. I have been reading the vintage section and I have fallen in love with the vintage SCUBA equipmet. I would like to start trying to put together a vintage rig. I guess i'm going to start looking for a reg in Jan. Until then i'm going to be researching them. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Check out Vintage Double Hose and Vintage Scuba Supply. They are good sources of vintage regulators, parts, supplies and info.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks so much. Those links worked great. "Basic Scuba" will be a great help in my research. I live in Atlanta GA.

Consider researching and collecting vintage basic gear too, such as fins, masks, snorkels and suits, to complement your vintage SCUBA equipment.

The Skin Diving History site has a wonderful, unique collection of American early (1950s) diving equipment manufacturers' and retailers' period advertisements. I wish there was something similarly comprehensive in the way of European sources of early diving gear trade literature.

Welcome to the board and to vintage diving. There is an active bunch of us restoring and diving the old gear. Do a search on the boards, read all you can and then ask questions. For your first reg, consider either a US Diver DA Aquamaster or Mistral. Both are reasonably inexpensive, easy to rebuild and reliable. Here is a thread going on VDH that you might find interesting. Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Double Hose Diving 101 If Bryan offers these it would be a great place to get your first reg, you can be assured it is totally rebuilt and ready for diving.
I would stick with either US Diver or Voit regulators at the beginning. Parts and service are readily available for them, others like Healthways and Dacors are difficult to get parts for and are IMO advanced vintage projects. Not that they should not be attempted but not as a first project. It is also a good idea to find someone local to you that dives the old gear and spend some time learning about the equipment, it takes some different skills and mindset to dive the old gear, not difficult but different enough to make it a good idea to have a mentor. I know of at least 2 active DH divers in Ga.

Awesome info everyone. I went to my local dive shop and talked to a few people. Most were why would you wanna do that. LOL. I'm gonna order "Basic Scuba", read the forums, and start saving for a vintage reg.

Thanks again everyone, you guys are great.

Good luck finding a vintage friendly dive shop. They do exist but they are rare. I am lucky, both of my LDS while enjoying ribbing me about "that old junk" have had me do vintage presentations and try vintage gear days at club meeting. Just rebuilt a DA for one of the shop owners. As a whole you will find the vintage community very open and willing to help out a new vintage diver. And while I am at it, yes vintage gear properly restored and dove with the proper vintage mindset is safe. Another vintage book for to read is "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving" ....got to love it using the words "new" and "vintage" in the same sentence. :)

Once again thanks for all the help. I hope to locate a vintage diver to meet with one day. It would be great to see a vintage setup in person and rasie a glass to a great hobby with great people.

Welcome to the club! Here is some appetizers for you. If you have any questions in particular feel free to ask.

Weights: Drager Germany
weightbeltfrontside.jpg

La Spirotechnique: Rechromed and rebuilt by Vintage Double Hose dot com
IMG_1633.jpg

Voits:
0817091406.jpg

And everyone's favorite Real deal Non Magnetic tanks and regulator::D
IMG_1661.jpg

Back
Top Bottom