Travel Advisory Honduras, from US State Department Changed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmoore, just curious what kind of airfare you got? The airfare today is up almost 50 percent from last year. UGH. (from Denver on Continental) Bruce

The trip is through the LDS and the price included everything so I don't really know.

Makes you wonder-

What political pressure caused the US State Department to portray reality- the Bay Islands have always been outside of this "political unrest".

Was it pressure from within Honduras? From Bay Islands?

My guess? The airlines that fly there leaned on Uncle Sam. They were getting killed for no good reason. The economy sucks and the wild stories about "the coup" didn't help a bit.

So, for now, it seems safe to fly to the Bay Islands, albeit still expensive.

God bless capitalism.

Makes you wonder-

What political pressure caused the US State Department to portray reality- the Bay Islands have always been outside of this "political unrest".

My guess? The airlines that fly there leaned on Uncle Sam. They were getting killed for no good reason. The economy sucks and the wild stories about "the coup" didn't help a bit.

Actually I believe a large amount of the change was due to a small group of Roatans businessmen and investors who visited Washington a little over a week ago and this was one of the main topics that was brought up to the state department, they spent a lot of time with many seanators and Congressmen among others. There was support from the community and many people helped make the trip possible, those who went were Mitch Cummins of Paradise Computers, Russ Summerell of Flying Fish, Lloyd Davidson Macaw Mountain Bird Park, and Gary Chamer, Palmetto Bay Plantation.
They had hoped for a specific exclusion of the Bay islands which didn't quite happen but the new update specifying mainly the mainland and capitol is certainly a step in the right direction.

Actually, a delegation of 4 businessmen representing The Bay Islands (and Honduras) went to DC Oct. 26 for two key reasons: the separation of the Bay Islands from the travel advisory issued by the state department and the need to recognize the Honduran elections on November 29th.
They had several meetings - with Congressmen and Senators - including a briefing to the House of Representatives and a key meeting with the State Dept. (David Wolfe, Deputy Director of the Office of Central American Affairs). They received 100% support for separating the Bay Islands from the travel advisories. A follow-up meeting was held Nov 5 at the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa on that topic. This group, which included Mitch Cummins, Paradise Computers, Russ Summerell, Flying Fish, Lloyd Davidson Macaw Mountain Bird Park, and Gary Chamer, Palmetto Bay Plantation was instrumental in getting the new advisory issued. Kudos to them -- and to the brave people in Honduras who have fought hard and long to protect their country's constitution.

Makes you wonder-

Was it political pressure? maybe it was just a uncontroled fit of common sense?

What Coup? You mean there was a Coup? (caution the prior statement is a personal opinion only and maynot not reflect the opinion of management)
So, for now, it seems safe to fly to the Bay Islands, albeit still expensive.

God bless capitalism.
May it continue to thrive!

Just my opinion

I just returned (Oct 27) from a two week trip to Roatan. As others have stated, there does not seem to be ANY impact on the Bay Islands. We had a wonderful time and everyone there was very friendly. The diving was a little off due to the rains, but overall, it was very good - especially for the price. The only "bad" news was the presence of Lionfish there - we saw three during my two weeks there.

Any of you planning trips to Roatan should just relax and enjoy it. There are some very good deals available right now. I have been to Roatan about 15 times with no issues.

Well they say you can go, but stay out of the capital. Also, things could get a bit dicey around the end of this month with elections coming up.

Elections are always dicey, but only for those running!

diversteve

Thanksfor fixing it. I know how spelling effects some on this board. Besides, it was a little embarasing. I have always had a problem proof reading my own stuff, but if someone else makes a mistake I always seem to be able to find it. Go Figure!
Google has a couple of spell checker tools. One highlights words as you type, the other if you click the button on the tool bar - neither of which works in titles tho, I don't think. I used to have an add-on for titles too, but lost it when the old computer got fried and can't find it right now?

Back
Top Bottom