Great book on GPOs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the heads up on that book Brian.

Scott, if you find such a book let me know too. I do come across species specific ones in the secondhand bookshops occasionally. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

I can tell you something about sunstar Picnopodia helianthoides behavior though as I've been watching one every day for about two years now :popcorn:

Thanks Dale, I'll keep you posted on what I find.

I actually got to bear witness to some very cool behaviour last night... I looked up just in time to watch a sea cucumber take a dump - it was breathtaking. Seriously! I've always wondered what kind of creature it is that makes those 2" long pellet turds. NOW I KNOW!!!!!!!

"Dear logbook, today I had the greatest experience of my diving career..."

I actually got to bear witness to some very cool behaviour last night... I looked up just in time to watch a sea cucumber take a dump - it was breathtaking. Seriously! I've always wondered what kind of creature it is that makes those 2" long pellet turds. NOW I KNOW!!!!!!!

I think this boy needs some help :shakehead:

:rofl3:

Don't forget Andy's other book Harbour Publishing - Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest

Because it's paperback and relatively small, you can keep it in a ziplok style of bag and then keep it in your dive bag for easy access immediately after the dive.

FWIW when I talked to Andy last week he highly recommended "Super Suckers" for anyone that is interested in the GPO and others of that ilk. You can't go wrong with a west coast critter book written by Cosgrove and McDaniel.

That's a great book but I wish it didn't point out how good the fish taste/how to cook them etc. - I guess it was written before all the rockfish getting gobbled up was such a concern.

As a coming out of the closet fish geek I get it... maybe.

I wonder what the uptight in Lions Bay would do if they knew how much poo the sea cucumbers put in the water. :)

BTW, I picked up a copy of the book at Chapters last night. The first two chapters have been interesting.

Andrew, I can lend it to you when I'm done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom