Changes to Ikelite DSLR Port System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank,

Yes I remember that photo (weren't we all soooooo young :) and think Billy Masler did take it. I don't think I was on that trip of North Carolina.....

As far as customers who have flooded their ports other than assembly errors I think I was one of YOUR customers back then!!!!! LOL.......

Get the upgrade as your Nikon D90 housing is new enough it will be worth it.

Later!

DH

When I first upgraded to a DSLR, I bought another Ike housing. I wrote them a note shortly after I received it saying that I did not think that the dome port mounting was very secure. I was assured that it was; as it is a design that had been used for a number of years. That was about a year and a half ago. It is also TWO floods ago!!!

I plan to go with the upgrade; as it certainly seems to be an improvement on the older design. I am a little disappointed that there is a $150 charge to fix their design flaw. The focus light mount is another suggestion I made to them, after I bought their LED light to be used as a focus light and found that it could not be mounted on the housing.

PS - I have only been diving since 1959 - not that it really matters.

PPS -What else is needed to mount the focus light?

In November we will have both Flex Arm and 1" diameter ball mounts available for the top of the housing. The mounting block is 1" square and accepts a 1/4-20 threaded screw.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Will this work for a PCM LED light? Could you post a picture of it? Thanks.

I just called Ikelite, and they said that they are NOT planning to put out a focus light holder for the new mounting thread. They told me that that thread is there for a possible upcoming upgrade, so we would not have to send the housing back in. Jean, could you please tell us what this is about?

Well I am honored to be the first to comment on the upgrade. I was told that I could recieve a free upgrade as I purchased my system within the last month. Well I wasted no time in getting it packed and shipped knowing that ikelite was already saying "please allow at least 3 weeks for the upgrade". I figured why not get in early? I shipped it out late on 10-26-09. Well when I arrived home this eve 11-6-09 it was setting on my porch all updated with 4 port locks and th new focus light mount. Eleven days or 9 working days including shipping both ways. Well so much for three weeks :). Great job ikelite !!!!!!!!

The only thing that that bothered me was I wasn't home to receive it and the shipper left it on the porch out in the cold!!!!!!!

Well I hope the rest of you are in line....

in reference to my post above, what is the upcoming upgrade that involves the thread on the top of the housing that comes with this upgrade?

We're just returning from DEMA and getting settled back into the office.

Regarding the top mount on the housing:
This a simple 1"x1" square mounting block that accepts a 1/4-20 thread. We will be coming out with both 1" and Flex Arm diameter ball mounts to attach to the top of the housing. From there, a variety of different focusing lights can be attached.

At this time we still do not have a light holder for our PC series lights. But we're expecting to release something to hold them within the next few months.

In short, there are no future updates planned to the housing itself. However there will be additions to our line of accessories that utilize the new top mount.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Yup - I was told 3 weeks for the upgrade, but the sucker came back in one week - looks great Ikelite, again you haven't kept to your expected repair time frames but consequently have another delighted customer!

John

Back
Top Bottom