Hi, it's your instructor calling....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I do now is actually invite them myself to go diving when I am going out on the boat or to the quarry. I rarely get turned down. We fill the boat or have a big group go the quarry and have a barbecue as well.

I think the invitation on a particular day comes acrossed as being much more sincere and genuine. That personal phone call seems to go a long way.

You're dead on target. Telling someone "Call me anytime..." sounds like a pleasantry, not an invitation.

Actually CALLING them is a different story. "Hey, he really wants to dive with me!"

Well played!

I think sometimes we think that the dive instructors realy just want us to spend more money with them, ie taking classes, buying equipment. nice to know some just want to dive with their students.

Ok "dave". I haven't been able to get in touch with my OW instructor, so I am diving with my AOW. Is this okay? haha. ( this is actually the truth)

I have been in a real dilemma for the past year or so. My diving instructor was awesome. He died last year. It has been difficult to hook up with other groups. I need to go slowly and really enjoy just watching critters. I don't do well with people who go fast, I am out of breath too easily. I hesitate to get involved with others knowing my own limitations may screw up their dives. I missed most of this year because of it. Nothing would make me happier than a mentor to dive with.

I am considering taking additional courses but money is really tight right now.

I have been in a real dilemma for the past year or so. My diving instructor was awesome. He died last year. It has been difficult to hook up with other groups. I need to go slowly and really enjoy just watching critters. I don't do well with people who go fast, I am out of breath too easily. I hesitate to get involved with others knowing my own limitations may screw up their dives. I missed most of this year because of it. Nothing would make me happier than a mentor to dive with.

I see you are a DNYer. Loads of good peeps there that will dive with you and your limitations. In fact we are getting together Nov. 21 and 22 at Dutch. Even if you feel its too cold then join us anyhow and meet some new buddies.

I see you are a DNYer. Loads of good peeps there that will dive with you and your limitations. In fact we are getting together Nov. 21 and 22 at Dutch. Even if you feel its too cold then join us anyhow and meet some new buddies.

Yeah, I actually joined the dive NY group but the trip to Dutch has been too expensive for me. I will see what I can do for the November trip. I will dive in cold, I have a drysuit though I have only used it a couple of times.

Yeah, I actually joined the dive NY group but the trip to Dutch has been too expensive for me. I will see what I can do for the November trip. I will dive in cold, I have a drysuit though I have only used it a couple of times.

There is a thread on the DNY forum started just for the November 21 weekend. Drop a post and see if you can get a ride to cut down on cost. The guys and gals over there are the best.

In answer to the OP, we can all only wish we had instructors like you.

I made every effort to be engaged with my LDS only to be quoted 2X prices on equipment, after I did research and knew the "going rates" on all brands. LDS did not respect my knowledge of equipment ratings or pricing . Instructor hasn't returned any emails or phone calls after the class, when asking opinions on going AOW or just getting in a few dives, i.e. what should I do? Fish or cut bait?

I personally wanted to support my local community and have the cash to do so, but after my experience and lack of engagement from the LDS crew...... screw it, my money spends on-line at better margins.

It seems LDS's would get a clue, know their audience in sales, expect the customer has done their homework and make the "exclusive line" they carry priced in line with the market place on-line. I've been in sales a long time and one sale at lower margins is better than no sale at all to build your business and stay competitive.

My LDS is more interested in making a buck than making new divers to keep the sport advancing.

Back
Top Bottom