SI TECH inflator valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My BCD has a SiTech inflator valve, usually found on some drysuits. I havent gotten up the courage to dissassemble it for cleaning since I don't know what will fall out in my hand. The cover will rotate 360 degrees and the air input stem has two thin nuts seperated by a rubber O-ring. :dork2:Anyone have any experience with opening one of these animals?

sounds complicated..

Why do you want to dismantle it? Is it playing up or are you just doing a bit of maitenance?

SI-TECH say that the only user maintenance on these is flushing them with fresh water. This is all I have done with the one on my drysuits and despite near continual exposure to salt water it works fine.

I suspect that it is a sealed unit that is not designed to be user servicable. However there is an exploded diagram of the inflator on their website, if you really want to have a go.

Rupert: I've been using this BCD for several years with no problems with the valves. But, being Irish and anal, I am always looking forward to the day that the intake valve sticks open and I become an underwater rocket. Just thought it might be a good idea to open it up and clean it.

Hey Garrobo

I just took mine apart, for me it's the inflator valve on my drysuit, so I can easily detached it from the suit, hold the top part (outside) and unscrew the bottom (inside).

Once the valve is removed, you need to peel off the sticker that covers the inflator button, you'll find a 2.5 mm hex screw under.

When you look on the other side you'll see a 4 mm hex screw inside the valve. Just use two wrenches and voila! Not really many parts, you'll have the piston with 2 o-rings and a spring (just under the button).

good luck

UW Canuck: Thanks. I'm getting bolder by the minute.

You mean like the purge valve from a drysuit?

On the inside they're just a housing, a spring a poppet and a gasket. If you can tie your own shoes you can take one apart and put it back together....

Having said that, because of this simple design, unless it's leaking there is no reason why you should want to.

R..

You mean like the purge valve from a drysuit?
@Diver0001: The OP wants to break down an inflator valve...not an exhaust valve. I agree with you, however, that the SI-Tech exhaust valve is very easy to take apart and put back together. Although the valve can be removed by hand, SI-Tech offers a really nifty tool that makes it super-easy to remove/install. The tool consists of two screw-like pieces, one which interfaces with the exposed side of the valve and the other which locks onto the part of the valve on the inside of the suit. Simply turn the two pieces against each other (in opposite directions) and voila! Here's a link to the tool. The webpage also provides a link to downloadable directions in PDF format. According to the directions, the tool can be used with both SI-Tech inflator and exhaust valves. The diagrams show that you just flip over the outside tool to do this.

@Garrobo: When you get up the gumption, could you please take some pictures of the step-by-step removal/re-assembly process and post them here on SB? I think all of us who use SI-Tech inflator valves would really appreciate it. I haven't felt the need to take apart my SI-Tech inflator valve yet, but I could see the need to do so in another year. :D

I think he's talking about the inlet valve. It is extremely easy to take apart, as described. Tobin's inflator valve tool works perfectly for removing the Schrader valve on the outside, too.

The dump valve is a little bit trickier to take apart, because the plastic cap doesn't unscrew. I have a photo essay on doing it HERE.

The dump valve is a little bit trickier to take apart, because the plastic cap doesn't unscrew. I have a photo essay on doing it HERE.
Lynne, your step-by-step disassembly is excellent! Any chance that you've done a proper dissection of a SI-Tech inflator valve? If so, please share. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom