old tanks an backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all a few months ago a buddy wanted to go "Old School" and I got him an ovil mask to get started. well he went a little hog wild an found four set's of 1978 dacor gear and has gotten all of it ready to go!
My question is this the tanks are in great shape but very old and our LDS has said that he will keep them in service as long he needs but asked why does he not just get new tanks for safetys sake? I dont like the look of them anyway and I dont even know what the type of valves are called they have on them.
so to get my answers I've come to people who know! Is it a good idea to use said tanks? the BP I'm not so worried about even the reg's...but the tank's? :confused:

Last edited:
If the tanks are in good shape and continue to pass hydro and vis, and the valves are good, there is no reason not to use them. They should be just as safe and serviceable as newer ones.

If the tanks are in good shape and continue to pass hydro and vis, and the valves are good, there is no reason not to use them. They should be just as safe and serviceable as newer ones.

Like he said. My AL80 born 1984 just pasted hydro. My 72 steel 1968 failed hydro.

If they are old steel 72's with J valves they are junk. I think you should tell your friend to send them to me immediately!

For proper disposal no doubt!:rofl3:

No! Me! Me! Send them to me! I am the only one who can dispose of them properly!:D

If those are old LP 72s with J valves (they have an operating lever on the diver's left side), they are classics. As long as they pass hydro and viz, I wouldn't even think about getting rid of them. Everybody I know wants to buy them. Including me...

Why? Well it sure isn't for the air volume. It's for the nice buoyancy characteristics. Sure, the cold water diver may want a more negative tank but all of the retro divers will use these in a heartbeat.

If they are LP 72s, they actually hold 65 cubic feet at 2250 psi and 72 cf when filled to 2475. This is what the '+' rating means if the hydro shop will do the '+' test.

If the tanks have J valves, you might be better off to replace them with modern valves. Not that there's likely to be anything wrong with the old valves but newer divers may not know how to deal with the J function. If the handle is even on correctly. Put a regulator on the tank and breathe through it while watching the pressure gauge. In the 'main' position where you can breath the tank down to a few hundred psi, the pressure gauge may dip. In the reserve positon, where you can breath the last little bit, the gauge will NOT dip (much). If you don't want to change the valves, Ty-Wrap them in the reserve position.

Ordinarily, the reserve position will be with the lever down. But, don't count on it. I just got one back from service and it was upside down. No big deal to change but it isn't the kind of thing that gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling about the service department.

Richard

Wll thanks all its a lot more info thn I had! and yes they must be J-valves. all four are in great shape still dacor yelloow

The Diving characteristics of Steel 72's are very good. Plus they will last fore ever. Most of my tanks are from the 50's and still going strong. KEEP them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom