New to KY Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokeborn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone, I'm going to be new to the KY area (around Louisville, Radcliff area) in about a month. My wife and I have been diving for a few years and are looking forward to experiencing the new area.
A couple of quick questions. I noticed that some of the quarries close, is this true of all of them? Also, do the state parks allow us to dive the lakes? While I know that there are "seasons" for diving in some areas, we are moving from Washington state (the Pacific Northwest!!) and we dive here year round. Is that possible there?
Again, we are looking forward to getting wet over there. See all of you soon!

Hi Ya, JB! Welcome to the KPP! There are a few places up your way to dive. I'm a little further West & South. There's Falling Rock Park (Joe's Quarry) in LaGrange, KY for sure & a couple quarries around the South Eastern IN & South Western OH area. I'm fairly certain that there are state parks that allow diving, however a lot of these waterways are considered Navigable, so proper precautions must be taken (floats & flags) marking divers below. Even with these precautions, don't expect local boaters to know what it means (though ignorance of the laws is no excuse). Most boaters are "weekend warriors" & usually "spirits" are involved. Most don't even know that diving exists here in the Blue Grass State. You may want to call the state park itself to make sure &/ or The KY wildlife conservation office (Fish & Game- a branch of the State Police). The only closed quarry I'm familiar with is Cerulean. It closed down about 2yrs ago. It is in Dawson Springs,KY (the South Western part of the state). Also down here in this sector (more Western part of KY) is Pennyroyal Blue Springs (my diving stomping grounds) in Hopkinsville. KY. It is probably a 3- 4hr drive for you. If you want to make the drive, There is also Mermet Springs which is just North of Metropolis, IL. As for Martha's Quarry (Lebanon, TN) , I've heard reports that it can be dove in, but that getting to it can be problematic (seems there is a problem between the owners). I dive year round, but after a certain point (varies from quarry to quarry- usually Oct or Nov.), most require reservations &/ or maybe a minimum # of divers to have the quarry opened- correct me guys, if I'm wrong on this, I know this is Pennyroyal's policy after mid Nov. Most around here who dive locally are "fair weather divers" & the season dies off about mid Oct. or so, when the water cools down. Hope this gives you as start. Once again, Welcome!

Welcome jokeborn,

While not in KY most of my diving is in KY. I know that Falling Rock does close. As to when I'm not sure. But you can call and Joe will let you in. I have the number, JPsexton and Land Locked also have it.

BTW, I will dive year around.

Welcome aboard! There are a few of us that dive year around. Joe's is closed in the winter but he will always let people dive. You just have to call and set something up. There are also many other places that are well withing driving distance. When you get moved just post something here and someone will always be glad to meet you.

I'm fairly certain that there are state parks that allow diving, however a lot of these waterways are considered Navigable, so proper precautions must be taken (floats & flags) marking divers below. Even with these precautions, don't expect local boaters to know what it means (though ignorance of the laws is no excuse). Most boaters are "weekend warriors" & usually "spirits" are involved. Most don't even know that diving exists here in the Blue Grass State.

Thanks for the heads up. I've experienced the weekend boaters here and when I lived in cave country in FL. My wife told me once that the boaters were coming up to the flag to try to figure out what it was. Thankfully I was deep enough (and kept a loose grip on it) that it didn't affect me.

To jpsexton and crpntr133, I will post when I'm finally up there and see about getting an intro to quarries and the states diving. I'm looking forward to trying something new (is there such a thing as a bad dive??). See everyone soon.

I think there is such a thing as a bad dive but we won't go there. Hopefully none of us EVER experience it.

Hey! I'm in your same boat, I live round Louisville now. Joe's is a nice place to dive, got some fun stuff, well for me atleast... (easily amused). But I really need to get out there again, I think my gills dried up...

I'll probably dive year round too, as to my new semi-dry. I also don't get scold too easily, so...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom