Northern California fish etc book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nor Cal Gal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone suggest a good basic book that names/explains the fish etc that are seen underwater in Northern California? Also, a laminated card that I can take underwater so I can identify stuff while I am diving? Thank you!

It depends on how detailed you want to go.

Paul Humann's Coastal Fish Identification California to Alaska is one of the best.

Daniel Gotshall's Guide to Marine Invertebrates Alaska to Baja California will cover most of the non fish critters.

Gotshall's fish book is Pacific Coast Inshore Fishes and is laid out differently than Humann's. Try a dive shop to see which author you prefer.

David Behrens and Alicia Hermosillo's Eastern Pacific Nudibranchs is the bible for local sea slugs.

Lonely Planet has Diving and Snorkeling Monterey Peninsula and Northern California, which provides and overview of the most popular dive sites with critters interspersed throughout the book and a simple Marine Life field guide near the back.

The laminated fish and critter ID cards are available at most dive shops, but they don't provide much else other than a quick picture. I had a couple, but haven't used them in years. There simply isn't enough info.

If you go with Humann's book be sure to get the newer second edition. It corrects a lot of errors from the first one.

Can anyone suggest a good basic book that names/explains the fish etc that are seen underwater in Northern California? Also, a laminated card that I can take underwater so I can identify stuff while I am diving? Thank you!

Paul Humman guide is a pretty good one, in fact, probably the best.

I like Gar Goodson Fishes of the Pacific Coast, less expensive, not as detailed, covers wide area peru to Alaska. I use it frequently.

One of my all time favorites...Probably More than You Want to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast, by Robin Milton Love. It is informative and will keep you laughing.

The first book I grab for fish is Gotshall but this summer I found a nice all purpose book titled "Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest" by Bernard Hanby. It covers everything from plants , anemones, worms, shrimp, crabs, nudibranches, and fish. Highly recomended but pricey.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom