Gulf Whale Shark migration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pips

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi There,
I'm moving to Dubai in January, and have dived there a few times before, though this time hoping to do my DM whilst I'm out there.
I was wondering if anyone knew if whale sharks passed through and if so what time of year? I wouldn't want to miss them!

Well...there have been a few sightings of whalesharks off Dubai, Abu Dhabi and along the Saudi coast, but as far as I know, they're not common in the Gulf. They group together up in the Hormuz Strait for feeding, mating or whatever whalesharks do when we're not watching.
They usually migrate up the Omani coast (possibly from the East African current) starting in April until late July, and there are a quite a lot of sightings. However...you still have to be lucky....

I did about 500 dives over 6 years in that area and saw 1 whaleshark..

Well...there have been a few sightings of whalesharks off Dubai, Abu Dhabi and along the Saudi coast, but as far as I know, they're not common in the Gulf. They group together up in the Hormuz Strait for feeding, mating or whatever whalesharks do when we're not watching.
They usually migrate up the Omani coast (possibly from the East African current) starting in April until late July, and there are a quite a lot of sightings. However...you still have to be lucky....

I did about 500 dives over 6 years in that area and saw 1 whaleshark..

Thanks Ian,
Seeing as you've spent so long there, do you have any idea of the best places in Dubai for DM training? Or any that offer discounts if you work for them? I think I'll use Al Boom but they're pricey...

I dive quite often in the Musandam, I saw a 5 metre whaleshark just 2 weeks ago

This year has been a real bonanza for sightingsQ

I would recommend using the Pavilion Dive centre for your DM course, probably the most professional and experienced out there! I did my course there as well as my IDC. Good bunch of guys work there!

Damn laptop crashed, but now I'm back. I haven't dived with any of the outfits in Dubai since 2005 and can only go on hearsay which is a tad unfair...
I know that both Al Boom and Pavillion have good reputations. Check with them and go with your feelings and of course what information they can give you re the DM-course.
Rudybier can give more updated info than I can..

Well I don't know about Dubai, but I live on the Saudi East coast and I've seen whale sharks around 6 or 7 times in the last 5 years.
They are usually seen here in Aug. till Oct.

Some guy just told me that he saw them mating in Feb, but most likely he's bull$hiting me.

I was told also that they migrate annually in large numbers around Qatar in Feb (or did he say April?)

Hope you find this helpful. :D

Up until about 4 weeks ago, there was a whale shark off the east cost, near Khorfakkan. I think there were also sighting in Musandam.

Last year there were plenty of sightings from October through to November in Oman.

I can vouch for PDC's quality.

Thanks Simon,
I'm off to the Musandam this weekend, fingers crossed I'll see one, there have been regular sightings there recently.

Hey Ian,

I take it that the diving in Abu Dhabi is generally okay at least?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom