Should I get my reg serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PuyallupCoug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I know the proper service interval for a reg is once every year, however, I have a question for you all.

I purchased an Aeris Atmos Pro 1st and 2nd stage reg around December last year. Due to a combination of things in my life, I've only been able to dive once since then.

Should I get my reg serviced since it's been almost a year or should I not worry about it since I only have 1 dive on it?

Thanks for the advice!

So I know the proper service interval for a reg is once every year, however, I have a question for you all.

I purchased an Aeris Atmos Pro 1st and 2nd stage reg around December last year. Due to a combination of things in my life, I've only been able to dive once since then.

Should I get my reg serviced since it's been almost a year or should I not worry about it since I only have 1 dive on it?

Thanks for the advice!

You didn't use it enough to wear anything out. If you find yourself diving more and your reg starts to perform differently than sure get it serviced, if not wait till next year.

Thanks AfterDark, that's what I figured but I wanted to err on the side of caution and ask you all.

Thanks for the advice!

There are several posts about this issue. No one can tell you what to do as liability may be involved. The classic answer is to follow your manufacturers recommendations. Most recommend yearly replacement of parts or every two-years.

I work on my own regs and replace parts annually. As I dive quite a bit I undertake a take down inspection every 100 hrs or if I experience any variation on my pre-dive inspection. If I was a light user I would do this every other year.

If I owned your regulator, I'd put off servicing the reg for another year. If you think that there was a chance of getting water into the first stage through rinsing, that's another matter. Hope this helps.

I suspect that the only reason you need to have your reg serviced this year would be to maintain your warranty. I also believe that would be a very weak reason, but you have to make that call. Unnecessary service to maintain a mostly useless warranty just further inflates the price you paid and will continue adding unnecessarily to to cost of ownership in the future.

If they were my regs I wouldn't service them for all the reasons mentioned above. However if it had been one dive in several years I would likely get them serviced. The rubber parts will degrade over time even if unused. Storing rubber items near gasoline or other solvents will shorten their lifetime considerably.

If the regs were mine I'd do a cleanup job on them only. If I wasn't equipped to do it myrself I would have a reg man clean them for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom