Will DM be a guide or a babysitter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM's are like any other profession, there are good ones and bad ones. And like most professional services, both types can make you feel like you wasted your money. A bad DM will do this by not doing much of anything for you, making you think that you could have floundered around on your own and saved some money. A good DM will do this by making things look and seem so easy that you think that you could've done it by yourself. Unfortunately, you won't know for sure until after the fact whether or not you got your money's worth. But, like anything else you're about to spend money on, know what it is you want and expect and then discuss it with the shop.

I agree with you totally but the thing is most DM's have nothing do to with anytype of profession. They are just someone that took the DM class and like to call themself a DM.

As a DM I'd say that it's important for you set proper expectations; we can do all sorts of things for you, spanning the entire spectrum from holding your hand the whole time...all the way to merely making certain your body stands a chance of being recovered if things go horribly wrong.

You tell me what you want. If we agree it makes sense, we're on. If I think there's a better plan, I'll suggest it. If we're miles apart, you might want to find someone else. Communication is the key.

As others have said just let the DM know your expectations before the dive and if they're good they will work with you. The benefit I always liked about a DM with me when I started was that they're trained in rescue diving. It was an added peace of mind for me. I always felt I could handle myself and I don't tend to panic when stuff happens, but having someone there that was trained for emergency situations helped me stay more calm.

Also as others have pointed out they tend to know the good spots on each dive to find the aquatic life for you to enjoy. On one of my dives in Little Cayman the DM's told us to stay calm if two groupers started following us around. They were named Ben and Jerry and you could tickle them under the mouth, they just loved the divers. After 13 years that's still one of the things I remember about diving there.

LoboMX

As a DM I'd say that it's important for you set proper expectations; ... Communication is the key.

Exactly.

No one likes surprises and can really be disappointed if they find out later that the DM should have done <something> but only did <something fast and easy>.

My son and I are doing a novice dive at three barges in Pensacola this weekend. (This will be dives 8 and 9 for us.) Just to be cautious, I am paying for a DM. If he's going to babysit us, rather than just guide us during the dive, I 'd rather cancel his services. What do you think? Will a Florida DM treat us as new but competent divers, or as helpless newbies?

I think this is a question that is better addressed to the DM. Speak to him of your expectations and come to an agreement ahead of time. That way you can spend your time enjoying your dive, not sorting out issues.

You went to 80ft on your 7th dive? 7th dive is barely out of training for OW (PADI for example has either 4 or 5 dive count for training). You took your son to 80ft w/o training and w/o experienced diver?

Ya what he said.. :no:

When I go diving at a new site, I always get the local DM to show me the site and sights. I put on my own fins, but I don't know the specials of that site or season. Are you more interested in the little half inch worm or the 1000 lbs seal. I don't know. He don't know. Talk to your DM and get the most out of your dive.

You went to 80ft on your 7th dive? 7th dive is barely out of training for OW (PADI for example has either 4 or 5 dive count for training). You took your son to 80ft w/o training and w/o experienced diver?

I wonder if it is just me but, when I read this post I immediately started hearing the deep judgmental voice of the nuns a lifetime ago in catholic school. I even saw the index finger actively pointing at me, intensifying the gravity of the situation.

OMG how dare the OP to feel comfortable on his 7th dive... and with his son too, this is soooooo unacceptable. If I was a nun I'd tell him: he's going down there where the snakes are.

Where is the guy that always comes along with the "you don't know what you don't know"?
Don't all new divers know by now that they have no right to even consider diving without someone "more experienced". And how dare they to cross those hard depth limit lines imposed on to them by the agency Gods.

So when is it acceptable for us to go to 80'? We have our own swimming pool and we have spent hours and hours at 6', but I have never considered those to be "dives". We are perfectly at ease in the water (at any recreational depth), and I think we are safe divers. What is the threshold that makes it safe for us to dive at 80' without benefit of a more experienced diver? In our OW classes, we were never instructed that 80' was too deep, as long as we were within the limits of our abilities and training. On one of our checkout dives we descended to 57'. As long as we are safely within the non deco limits, why is 80' so much more dangerous than 57', a depth for which we are already experienced?

I'm not being sarcastic. If there is a difference between 57' and 80', and I am being reckless with our safety, I'd like to know. I just don't see how that's the case.

When you are comfortable IMO. When I took my AOW course I didn't come to some realization of how to dive below 60', surprisingly I feel the same as before I took it! Manage your gas, make sure you watch your NDL, and be aware of getting narced, its not likely that it will effect you too much at 80' but it does effect you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom