"Baby, light my fire!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The instructor is much more important than the agency when choosing a course. The factors I'd consider in choosing are 1. instructor 2. price and location 3. agency. In that order. You will find good and bad teachers in every agency.

Adam

I believe you remember the situation as you want to. Ron and Vicki are two of the most honest people that I have ever met. The are very up front about the cost of the class, purchasing equipment and what the expectations are. We purchased fins masks and snorkel. We got certified and bought all of our gear there. What great prices they gave us, full package deals. Isn't that what SSI is about also, purchasing the total dive package at a place that knows your gear and can service it? After that sale we discussed upgrading my husbands mask to one he could put his prescription in and explained we really did not like the fins. They took the fins back and even wanted to take back the mask and refund full price. This is not someone who takes advantage of others, this is someone who helps others.
Posted via Mobile Device

The only reason I know this one has been revived because I get thread updates sent to my email. Obviously, your financial status is better than mine to purchase not one but TWO complete packages from Gr8DIVN dive shop. If you have a discrepancy of a small product and fins what makes you think they would gladly give you a refund after you were outfitted with the complete bells and whistle packages?

Isn't that what SSI is all about? No! SSI is all about having instructors pick one shop to stay with to build up relations for their local dive shop. That is it, just the instructor staying loyal to one shop and not freelance around. It is the shop and the instructor whom who pitches up the sales. All SSI is a teaching tool and give teaching guidelines for shops to use as an example. If you see or hear a specific thing about a certain scuba product from your dive instructor the chances you, the consumer will listen and purchase it because your dive instructor said so.

Yes, I got certified from there like a year ago thanks to some friends from Force Fins because GR8DIVN wouldn't allow me to use my Force Fins during my OW certification through them. I am sure it was Mr. Meesier from Force fins made it clear that I will be safe in using my Force Fins through the class. They still complained and moaned so I bought the blue APS Mantarays for the remainder of the class just to keep them quiet.

I do buy from there with the small things to help out my local dive shops. I go around town just to get pieces here and there in "support local dive shops day" every few months and to see what's happening everywhere else. I get the big stuff at Neptune divers because he draws the least sales due to his location and he gives me the best service.

I leave you some pictures.

Here is a light duty dive reel I needed for toting my dive flag around.
PICT0810.jpg

Looks ok, right? I had to put a special order for this trident dive reel which I was charged 45.00! I went to Neptune divers and he had rows of the same product for 25.00 out the door, locally. I don't mind paying a bit more but 45.00? That is the sample of their prices. Honest huh?

Omit the brass hook. It didn't come with that, I bought that at Sport Chalet because they were the only ones with it and I modded it on with some ingenuity.

HAHA They said if I bought Zeagle, I woud die! I am still here.

The blue fins are 150.00 I don't mind paying that through GR8DIVN. Omit the Force Fins,too.
PICT0368.jpg

Here is my picture of my dive set up. Try and get the BCD, computer, whole regulator setup for 1500.00. Courtesy through scubatoys.
Try and get the BCD, computer, whole regulator setup for 1500.00 through scubatoys. I have a nicer Zeagle setup through Neptune Divers in Las Vegas comming up for $1,900.00. You can't even get that setup close to the price from Gr8Divn.

Ma'am you are a real TOOL. You come here on your 1st post and then bring up a 16month thread then try to call me out that GR8DIVN gives great prices. :laughs:

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with SSI, but it a trend as shops continue to lose money certifying OW divers in an attempt to create consumers for the thing they do make money on: Gear.

We have an SSI shop in town that tells its potential students that if they have have not bought their personal gear from them then they can't get their training there. I've never heard this from shops who are not affiliated with. SSI. I wonder if this is a coincidence or a trend.

It has nothing to do with SSI, but it a trend as shops continue to lose money certifying OW divers in an attempt to create consumers for the thing they do make money on: Gear.

SSI yep you are right so true. True to a point on the second part that is. ...But if this particular shop treats their customers as how they have treated me the more of the chance the gear will be bought somewhere else. That was exactly, like what I have done. And I will admit I buy bigger quantity of things from their competition locally in comparison to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom