mouth organ type noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy j

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When i inhale from my reg it has started to make a vibrating mouth organ type noise.
I was planning on going diving over the next few days so i won't have time to get them serviced, what do you think?
Its a scuba pro r190

Possibly a silly question but, is this above or below the surface?

Most likely a well worn HP seat.
Sounds/feels like an old steam engine.

So your regulator may have an issue but you plan on diving it anyway?

Granted it may be something small but why would you chance it?

When i inhale from my reg it has started to make a vibrating mouth organ type noise.
I was planning on going diving over the next few days so i won't have time to get them serviced, what do you think?
Its a scuba pro r190

If you're not in the water; it (the diaphragm) may vibrate. Try it in the water. It will probably be quiet.

In my experience some regs will vibrate when above water, does it do this above water? I have had Aqualung, DiveRite and Apeks regs all vibrate above water no problems under.

I have one honker.

Has anything changed that gives you reason for concern.

It's often a benign behavior but could be otherwise. Don't you love these cut and dried answers.

Pete

If it's the first stage making the noise, then - as 300bar posted - it's likely to be a very worn HP seat. Diving the reg probably isn't the wisest plan...

If, on the other hand, it's the second stage, then probably it's just because the diaphragm and exhaust valve have dried out and the reg will be fine in the water, as several people have said.

If you can't work out where the noise is coming from, first stage/HP seat will sound really harmonica-like, second stage probably more like a whoopee cushion!

Grae

My brand new 2nd stage reg honked like a goose when at the surface or like a harmonica. My understanding is that the noise is due to the fact the 2nd stage is very well tuned and will stop when underwater and grow less over time. Both of these are true for me.

If it's the first stage making the noise, then - as 300bar posted - it's likely to be a very worn HP seat. Diving the reg probably isn't the wisest plan...

If, on the other hand, it's the second stage, then probably it's just because the diaphragm and exhaust valve have dried out and the reg will be fine in the water, as several people have said.

If you can't work out where the noise is coming from, first stage/HP seat will sound really harmonica-like, second stage probably more like a whoopee cushion!

Grae

I recently took my Atomic M1/B2 in for servicing. According to their website and owner's manual the reg doesn't need it, but for every two years and I had it done last year. However, the second stage (M1) was doing the "whoopee" too. Upon it's return the noise is gone and performs great.

On a side note, I dove it for about 10 dives before taking it in. It still worked fine. Just noisy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom