Streamlining Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the suggestions! It's not so much a console as it is just a SPG and depth gauge. It might have a compass, I know some of the rental gear the club uses have them and some don't. I'm going to try the SS clip and zip ties. I'll let you all know how it works!

I still find that my 3 bay console serves my needs and I run a poor mans retractor. That is I have a 6-8 inch length of 3/6 bungee and a bolt snap that clips off to my left shoulder D ring. That keeps it handy and allows me to navigate wile barely stretching the bungee. Otherwise it's up close enough most of the time. You should be able to connect to the console dujour with a simple know or zip tie.

Pete

<Assumption this is Rental Gear>

Get a short length of 1/8 shock/bungie cord tie it into a 6" loop. Loop one end on a bolt6 snap and when you get the console, loop the cord around the console. Easily removed when you are done.

Or

Tuck it under you shoulder strap or into waist band.

I have used a large carabiner for several years now. Just clip it on the side with your console and run the hose through it. It is easily removed, and allows you to easily see your gauges, yet keeps them streamlined at the same time. Just make sure you rinse after every dive as salt water does not agree with carabiner gates to well!

A lot of good suggestions there. I use surgical tubing and zip ties, which I keep in my save-a-dive kit to make up quick connectors. Rental gear often does not include an octo holder as well, and it's easy to make up a short loop fastened to a chest D-ring that will stretch around a mouthpiece.

Something like this - Aqua Dual Hose Holder with Swivel Clip would also do the job.

Yes, that will work ... but will have a tendency to slide down the hose as you dive. If using one of them you'll need to put something (like a zip tie) behind it on the hose to prevent it from sliding and leaving your console dangling several inches lower than you want it to be ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I attach a retractor to my 3 bay console and run it under my left arm and then up over my chest. I attach the console to my opposite shoulder d-ring. Only thing I have to remember is if I have to take off my gear, I have to detach my console first. Seems to keep things streamlined for me and keeps my awareness of my gauges. As far as compass use goes, I detach the console for that, use the compass and reattach. Dont know if this is the best way to do it, but it works for me.

Thanks for the suggestions! It's not so much a console as it is just a SPG and depth gauge. It might have a compass, I know some of the rental gear the club uses have them and some don't. I'm going to try the SS clip and zip ties. I'll let you all know how it works!

I prefer wrist mounted stuff to consul mounted. Check out the Suunto SK-7 (Suunto SK7 Wrist Compass) compass. You can mount it in a boot from DSS (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=47).

I can guarantee this compass will be better that any compass that may or may not come with your club gear. It has a lot of float which means it will still spin if you are not perfectly level. You can tell students learning to use crappy compasses because they end up swimming in circle. It is quite funny.

The best way to streamline a console it not to have one. Put your instruments on your wrist. Most console instruments can be popped out of the console and placed in standard wrist boots. The SPG should be the only thing the console.

My 2 cents.

Do you know who makes a "wrist boot" that will accommodate my Scubapro altitude compensating depth gauge? It is pretty much an old standard 2.5" diameter gauge. I was going to try the DSS Uwatec timer bungee mount if i cant find anything else. I am not a fan of consoles either...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom