A Suspicious Brown Package Arrived Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Upon arriving home today, I found a package near the front door.

2v8mxk3.jpg

The wife was very suspicious. She had been eyeballing the package since it had arrived. She thought it had food in it.

bob_evans.gif

Unfortunately, I had to break the news to her that this was from a different Bob Evans.

Inside the package......

14tan2b.jpg

Was a small female child with a fake ID.

Kidding.

wbperq.jpg

A tasteful Force Fin bag containing SD-1 Force Fins.

I put it in a line-up with my other fins.

8zk9yc.jpg

Shorter, narrower, slimmer, and lighter than the Atomic by far. Much narrower than my OMS Slipstream. My slipstreams actually have issues hitting each other when doing flutter kicks.

Initial impressions:
1. I tried the fin on with my doc martin shoes. And then walked around the kitchen. Moving around on a boat wearing either of the other fins is a hazard.
2. It was soooo comfortable. Sizing Slipstreams is a black art that leaves one blistered and bloody. The adjustable nature of this fin is a killer feature.
3. It says "Bob Evans" on the fin. That made my wife hungry again.
4. This fin has a serious "Batman" persona going on. Not TV Batman or Burton Batman, more like a new Batman or lego Batman look.

Evidence:
lego_batman_logo_min.jpg

These fins first hit the water in Grand Cayman in about 1.5 weeks. They will be going on 4-5 dives a day including rebreather and DPV. I'll provide a followup report.

I am also trying to get my dive buddy Mike to do the 29 pound dead lift free dive challenge in them since he is hitting a 15 foot pool this week.

Thanks Bob, Blair, and the gang.

Those SD-1's look sweet!
I had other brands of fins as well and they looked like some kids made them and were paid in Ramen.

I didn't really understand how well this fin fits a traveler's profile from the Force Fin web site. Super lightweight, very compact, and easy to pack. Packing my Atomics get weird due to length. Packing slipstreams gets weird due to width and stiffness. These fins are as easy to pack.

Also, earlier I put them on with my thickest boot. Seasoft Sunrays. Fit like a charm. I was so happy, that I walked up and down the stairs in the fins. My wife asked me why that was impressive and I gave up trying to explain to her. She isn't a diver.

Day 1 in Grand Cayman. 4 dives. over 3 hours spent underwater. No cramping or fatigue. Note: I never really had cramping or fatigue issues, just noting none was incurred.

Thoughts:
1. they were a big hit on the dive boat, people loved the mobility I had walking in them
2. the SD-1 is more like a paddle fin, I didn't find myself having to adjust my kicking with them really
3. Since I am not a weekly diver, my muscle memory is very sparse. I didn't have a "oh my god" epiphany or a "god this sucks" reaction.
4. There was lots of surge today. Had no issues with current/surge.
5. We found a cut full of silver sides and I skimmed the bottom. No issues with the frog kick or silting.
6. When I needed to "sprint", I had no issues accelerating or getting a good speed.
7. Someone on the boat told me that my "dive goddess" skin would attract sharks. So I told him that it was gray hair that really attracted them so I'd have no problems if he was on the dive too.
8. We then saw a shark on the next dive and sure enough I was the only diver that got a close driveby from it. Not sure if it was the fins, the "Smokin" pattern dive skin, or the fact that I wasn't flapping my arms and acting retarded.

Day 2, 4 more dives, over 3 hours in the water again. No cramping or fatigue to speak of.

1. Finning while swimming on your back is really easy and comfortable in these fins.
2. We dove "the throat" today and went through a lot of swim throughs where I bottom skimmed. Frog kick worked fine. Never got tired.
3. Micro adjustments. I'm making them. I don't have muscle memory from using my slipstreams though, so that may be why I am not having an issue.

The SD-1 is a heck of a fin, I wonder if a model with a normal force fin style foot pocket instead of the adjustable system might be a good fit for tropical diving for people who like paddle style fins.

Tomorrow, the North Wall and some night diving in exteme shallow water.

Last edited:
Deco Martini, Thanks for the up dates. Have you noticed the SD-1 blades are positive even at 90feet. I liked the feel of my legs not dropping down while photographing on a Coral Reef. Look forward to hearing more. Best, Bob

Day 3, 3 dives, around 3 hours underwater. The north wall, the east end, and a night dive.

Getting back in from diving the north wall, I tried unclasping the fins and swimming. However, I was afraid to go at it too hard since if the fins came off they would fall about 5000 feet and retail for 500 dollars.

On the night dive, I shone my light on the fin to create an impromptu "bat signal" in the spot of the beam.

3 days, 11 dives, over 9 hours in the water finning. Still going strong and my legs, ankles, toes, etc are all fine with no blisters, ulcers, or sore spots.

More to come.....

Have you noticed the SD-1 blades are positive even at 90feet.
Guess not. See his next post! :D

I tried unclasping the fins and swimming. However, I was afraid to go at it too hard since if the fins came off they would fall about 5000 feet and retail for 500 dollars.

3 more dives, 3 more hours underwater. Third dive today was on a Sentinel rebreather. It was my first time on a rebreather so I was having the normal buoyancy issues. Had no issues moving with the rebreather on, even when I was paddling to compensate for buoyancy.

The only issue I've run into is, since walking isn't difficult in the fins, this morning I geared up and walked off the boat without my fins on without noticing. Yeah. That was a good laugh.

Back
Top Bottom