What good is Nitrox if your SAC sux?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So wait, if you combine bigger tanks and nitrox, you will have more bottom time, most likely, and your ndls won't be as constrained. But what about your p02 levels

So wait, if you combine bigger tanks and nitrox, you will have more bottom time, most likely, and your ndls won't be as constrained. But what about your p02 levels

Depends on your % and depth. The internet is not the best place to learn diving. Find a GOOD instructor and take a nitrox class.

I simply think that continuing education for divers is a good thing, and you will probably find benefit in extended dive times at some point. And as someone posted, think of getting a larger cylinder if you need to.

dori fish:

There is a window regarding the benefits of diving nitrox...Diving nitrox for basic recreational dives, as long as you stay within the parameters of the tables for the EAN you are using, an oxygen toxicity hit will be highly, highly unlikely.

There ya go you answered your own question...

lots of relatively shallow <100 diving in a day, nitrox is the only way to go. for 2 dives to 60 ft it makes little difference, 5 dives in a day oh ya, get me some Eanx. or if you are diving doubles in shallow water ya, mo O2 less N2.

Does that statement mean you should dive 21% if your diving a single tank?

On most of my dives the SI is set by the boat operator.
And it's great when everyone on the boat is on Nitrox so those can be shorter. :lotsalove: Be part of the solution.
You'll learn how to manage that safely
Does that statement mean you should dive 21% if your diving a single tank?
He didn't bust you for your typo.

Yeah, generally - but why would you want to do that? :confused:

As long as you stick to the MOD (max operating depth) for the mix you're breathing, PO2 shouldnt really be an issue.

Perhaps you meant to ask about CNS/OTU instead?

PO2 is more a function of depth, CNS loading is more a function of time, and can start to become an issue when doing multiple dives with elevated mixes.

I plan on taking a nitrox course when i have time i started the readings that is how i know about it.

And it's great when everyone on the boat is on Nitrox so those can be shorter. :lotsalove: Be part of the solution.

You'll learn how to manage that safely

He didn't bust you for your typo.

Yeah, generally - but why would you want to do that? :confused:

I did not give an erroneous statement either.:D Please feel free to tell me why its better to dive nitrox in doubles and single tanks on 21% on shallow dives.

The OP question had to do with the usefulness of Nitrox if you are not hitting an NDL (air) because of tank volume. If you increase your tank volume with doubles or large singles and you are shallow and under the MOD of the mix then you can get to the NDL and would find the benefit of a higher O2 mix(longer bottom time shorter SI).

dive whatever you want in your singles. like I said there is little advantage of diving Nitrox if your limits are boat crew or air consumption. unless you just want to have less N2 and maybe a little safer. This was not intended to be a whole discussion on Nitrox.

:edit: the use of the word shallow may be what you are sticking on, I just mean well under the MOD of the mix, so that PPO2 is not the limit of the dive.

The OP question had to do with the usefulness of Nitrox if you are not hitting an NDL (air) because of tank volume. If you increase your tank volume with doubles or large singles and you are shallow and under the MOD of the mix then you can get to the NDL and would find the benefit of a higher O2 mix(longer bottom time shorter SI).

dive whatever you want in your singles. like I said there is little advantage of diving Nitrox if your limits are boat crew or air consumption. unless you just want to have less N2 and maybe a little safer. This was not intended to be a whole discussion on Nitrox.

:edit: the use of the word shallow may be what you are sticking on, I just mean well under the MOD of the mix, so that PPO2 is not the limit of the dive.

I was sticking on your sentence.. I know how to use Nitrox. Well trained in its usages.. However I never in any classes saw anything that said it was better to use it in doubles rather than singles..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom