Backplate roller adjusters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Posted this on the basic discussions but showing them here. Similar to the Pteradactyl set up except they are interchangeable. Makes for a very simple harness set up since you don't have to cinch anything down. You tighten the buckle and the strap pulls through the rollers and cinches everything down in one step. No more shoulder strap adjustments...Can't wait to set it up....

100_1985.JPG
[/IMG]

Ditto, where did you get them?

Also, do you have a pic you can post with them mounted and the webbing threaded?

Thanks!

You know, I looked at the Pterodactyl, and I had the same thought I have with these -- I LIKE the fact that, should my waist buckle come undone underwater (which has happened to me a couple of times in my diving career), my rig will stay stable on my back. With a setup like this, if your waist strap comes undone, your rig will be all over the place.

I can see the utility of something like this if you are an instructor and are trying to fit a harness to a variety of people. But for me, I use triglides and SET that harness length, for safety.

I, too, had a strongly negative reaction to these on the Pterodactyl.

If the harness hip attachment points can roll, then aren't the d-rings going to change position, and in fact isn't the whole rig going to be inclined to twist? How will you even know, when you've put it on, that its precisely as tight as you intend it -- or will you not know until you try to reach your valves?

Why do you need them?

I don't.

With a setup like this, if your waist strap comes undone, your rig will be all over the place.

Good point.

Now back to my questions...

Ditto, where did you get them?

Also, do you have a pic you can post with them mounted and the webbing threaded?

Thanks!

If the waist strap comes loose, won't the D-ring stop the waist strap from sliding too far and providing too much slack in the shoulder straps? Is it hard to re-buckle a waist strap if it should pop open? I like having a harness that is easier to get in and out of AND can accomodate a full 7 mm suit and a t-shirt in less than one second.

My thoughts on these are for the changing out of different gear config: doubles with drysuit/heavy underwear, doubles with drysuit/light underwear, single tank with 7mm wetsuit, single tank with 3mm wetsuit, etc..
These would give you the ability to tighten down the harness to help prevent the rig sliding around on your back when you lighten up on the exposure protection. I have not had me buckle come undone while diving but could see that happen. Your D-rings would only allow the rig to get loose but also prevent the webbing from sliding completely off and give the wearer a chance to tighten back up underwater.

Hey everyone.....Sorry, but haven't been on for awhile, so apologies for not responding sooner.

I bought these from Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, NC. George Purifoy was putting them together at the time. But George sadly passed away a year ago, so I do not know if Bobby or Jon have carried on making them. You can contact them at 252-726-9432.

I have had good experience with them. They have fit very snugly to my body and are comfortable for me. I am a tall guy and it is kind of difficult for me to find good fits with traditional shoulder strap adjustments, so the rollers have worked well in that they give me a custom fit whether I dive wet or dry.

I cannot comment as to the buckle disengaging since that hasn't happened, but I have removed and replaced the rig underwater without a problem. My D-rings would prohibit the belly strap from coming unthreaded through the roller. And you are correct dumpsterDiver in that if the buckle were to release, the D-rings would prevent much movement of the rig.

I have photos posted in my photo gallery of the rig. If anyone wants additional, then let me know.

As far as awaps comment....why would one need them....I never said anyone did need them. It was simply an fyi post. But they have worked very well for me so far in providing a good custom fit for my body style with anything I wear. I have been very satisfied with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom