Who moved the boat at Big bay point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Americans don't know what meters are!
Sure we do... they are for measuring volts, amps and ohms. :D

Give a Canadian an inch and they'll take a kilometer! Eh!?!

Americans don't know what meters are!

Which begs the question, why are you using the American spelling... a meter is a measuring device, while a metre is a measurement of distance.

:wink:

I work in the US for a US-based company and we have a real cocktail of nationalities here at TDI. Mostly Yanks but Brits, Canadians, South Americans, and others. We speak both metric (SI units actually) and imperial. Our textbooks are metric first imperial second. The US uses nominally imperial units but SI units are the norm which more and more government, quasi-government and technically-oriented organizations (I mean scientific/engineering). In the mil-spec stuff that occasionally lands on my desk (usually Navy but Air Force too), SI units are always used...

What I don't understand are the blank stares I get when I go to a Canadian dive shop and ask for my cylinders to be filled to X number of bar.

What I don't understand are the blank stares I get when I go to a Canadian dive shop and ask for my cylinders to be filled to X number of bar.

But Steve, don't you know that as Canadians we can 'only' use imperial when diving. We drive to the dive site at umpteen km/h, and discuss weather in Celsius, but as soon as we drop below the water surface it is all suddenly Fahrenheit and feet of depth.

Tell your average Canadian diver that the water temps are 11 degrees Celsuis and just watch the math-brain at work. Go figure!:consolation:

But Steve, don't you know that as Canadians we can 'only' use imperial when diving. We drive to the dive site at umpteen km/h, and discuss weather in Celsius, but as soon as we drop below the water surface it is all suddenly Fahrenheit and feet of depth.

Tell your average Canadian diver that the water temps are 11 degrees Celsuis and just watch the math-brain at work. Go figure!:consolation:

Well they do say you can tell a Canadian diver because s/he gives you the air temperature in Celsius but the water temps in Fahrenheit!

Wait until I get you on a rebreather mate... you'll have to go full metric then!

Hey send all your dive shops to the welland scuba park .I know its a little longer drive from toronto but we have lots of parking .
Is there a web site for this place? When I Google it, I mostly find ScubaBoard references.

Which begs the question, why are you using the American spelling... a meter is a measuring device, while a metre is a measurement of distance.

:wink:

I started that and it was intentional. More practical for translation. :D

Back
Top Bottom