Fantasea Housing leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidngsh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Fantase Housing for my Nikon digital Coolpix S50 which I purcased in May 2008. I have used it for only 5 dives until I decided to test it out in the pool. I was fortunate for not put in the camera. At only 3 meter a slow leak formed at the edge of the housing. On inspecting the housing,I noticed a hairline crack at the edge.
I am in Malaysia and sending the housing back to US will be my last choice. Is there anyone who know a good and strong adhesive to repair it.

I am not sure how I feel about using an adhesive on a housing. The housing has already been compromised, but I would definitely depth test it sometime without the camera in the housing.

I would use 2 part epoxy, 5 or 30 min set time should do. Follow the instructions on the package and make sure the epoxy is fully cured before taking into the water.

Depending on the crack and its location, make sure you rough up any smooth surfaces that will be bonded. Also, just before you glue, wipe down the area to be glued with some rubbing alcohol to clean the surface of any oils, fingerprints, etc.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!
Gordon

Gordon,thanks for the tips. I tried epoxy earlier and it didn't work. Then I came across some suggestion from other members using ABS cement adhesive. It's miracle. Surprised me when I took it down to 25 m and not a drop of water in my housing.
I'm happy with my housing now and I was using it for more than 5 dives on the recent diving holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom