Diving for fish.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to go down with a net and just creep up on fish and get them. Where is the best place to dive for fish?

Your local pet shop aquarium would be your best bet.

Seriously, it is not that easy with real wild fish.

As someone else indicated, you would not be able to sneek up on a fish & net it. Their vision is too good & they move too fast.
I have heard of divers taking a small fishing pole w/ them & dangling the bait in front of the fish. I think that this would work for bass, as they seem to be very currious. From what I understand, this would be legal as long as you have your fishing license on you @ the time & the fish acually bites the hook.

I've caught a number of fish with a hand net while on scuba. You sneak up, slap it over them, grab them while inside the net, insert a knife through the net and scramble their brain and then remove fish from net. I've only done this at night, but it works pretty well.

You guys have clearly never hung around any marine biologists. I have personally witnessed people catching fish with a goody bag without killing or injuring them. Fast hands and persistence are key.

I have heard of divers taking a small fishing pole w/ them & dangling the bait in front of the fish. I think that this would work for bass, as they seem to be very curious. From what I understand, this would be legal as long as you have your fishing license on you @ the time & the fish actually bites the hook.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: hahaha
done it... It surprisingly attracts ALLOT if fish. I just use a lour and no hook, it brings all the good ones out of the wood work. Then my buddy spears the best looking fish at the party, and we have dinner.

In many European countries spearfishing with scuba equipment is forbiden by the law, as being unfair to fishes (chances are not equal). You can only spearfish as a freediver.

In many European countries spearfishing with scuba equipment is forbiden by the law, as being unfair to fishes (chances are not equal). You can only spearfish as a freediver.

Well thank God I live in the USA. Shoot away.

I collect fish with nets while diving all the time. My last dive, a dozen Spotfin Butterfly's, a juvenile Slippery Dick (the wrasse :D ) and handful of Cunners that insisted on swimming in the net with the fish I was targeting. Tricks are to use a net considerable bigger than the fish your after, observe the fish for awhile to see where it's likely to run when spooked, block that exit with the net, and finally guide/chase the fish into the net :wink:

I live in the middle of the United States, and for 40 years have been a spear fisherman, At one time the Underwater Society ran spearfishing championships for fresh water, and the most common target was Carp. Carp are non native to America, and were brought here from Europe where they were popular in clear rocky waters. In the U. S. they have spread through most of our man made lakes with mud bottom and have outgrown and eaten the eggs and young of our game fish.

In the Southern U. S. lakes are poisoned regularly to kill off the carp, and usually very few game fish. A 20 or 30 pound carp will push off the 2 or 3 pound fish guarding the nest and eat all the eggs, year after year.

For many years many of the best spear fishermen could kill 30 to 50 carp in a four hour contest. Missouri and Oklahoma divers dominated the championships for many years. An adjoining state, Arkansas, had fisheries biologists study the ability of the best spear fishermen, and the best hook and line fishermen, and while the divers could take better, larger fish, divers could never take as many game fish. Game fish don't crowd up like the carp do when spawning.

The Arkansas fisheries biologists have introduced new game species and attract fishermen from many miles away, their efforts have made the fishing more plentiful and larger fish than competing states fishing. Bigger and more black bass, walleye, catfish and stripers. Banning some things can barely keep it going. . . Spending money to improve the fishery works better. Arkansas sells lots of out of state fishing licenses because they have studied what works and what doesn't work. Big fish attract trophy hunting Illinois fishermen to catch bigger walleye in Arkansas lakes than they can find in their local lakes where the walleye were native.

Spear fishermen didn't make fishing better, but our money from out of state fishing licenses have supported good people who have created limits that increase the size and number of fish. A long history of competing national boundaries may make one country unable to improve things. But to improve all the fishing, taking selected fish is always better than taking all the fish and all the bait, and damaging cover. . . like netting and commercial fishing has done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom