So, what are the conditions to 30 ft at Lake Meridith?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don,

I think you should spend the day posting on ScubaBoard and Bag the dive. Litlle to no vis, first time in the lake dealing with the conditions along side an inexperinced buddy provides more than enough reasons to call this one off. What I dont understand, is why even ask? And hey, we know you like posting on ScubaBoard so its a win win situation.

What I dont understand, is why even ask?
I was asked how it would be, and replied that I'd find out. Anyone know the temp to 30 ft now? I'm pretty much against this, but not totally yet. I think I'll let my dive bud who knows Joe well say no - which looks easy at the time.
And hey, we know you like posting on ScubaBoard so its a win win situation.
A bad thing...? :confused:

I just got a 250lbs lift bag, and for the life of me I have no clue how I would inflate something that large while UW without shooting to the surface like a rocket!

That is what the search and recovery class teaches you. :D :mooner:

I have done this kind of recovery before. Here is what you can expect. Very little visibility on the bottom. If you do not stop before you hit the bottom and hover over it, you will have zero vis. The motor is probably burried in the muck so you will have to fish for it with your hands. Even if not, it will be partially burried and as soon as you touch it you will silt out. So, plan on doing a braille dive. Everything will be by feel including separating the motor from the bottom and your ascent to the surface.

You will need to be able to keep track of your time and your position in the water column without the benefit of gauges or computers.

When you separate the motor from the bottom you will need to be negative so that the pop does not shoot you to the surface. Remember the pressure differentials in shallow water are much greater.

Blowing a bag is problematic in zero vis, but if you know what you are doing with a bag and are able to clear away all of the obstacles it is possible. You have to watch out that the motor does not hit you on the way up.

Lakes are full of monofiliment. You will need to know how to cut yourself out of it and also how to be sure that when you release the motor from the bottom monofiliment from the motor does not entangle you.

You will need to have a safety diver who knows what he is doing ready to come cut you out in zero vis if you become hopelessly entangled.

The best you can hope for in a lake recovery of a motor is to be able to descend, stay off the bottom, locate the motor, tie a line to it, and come back to the surface. Then with no divers in the water, muscle it to the surface. Of course it could have landed on rocky strata and be waiting for you to come get it.

But that is not my experience. Depending on how it landed in the silt, you may never see it on the bottom.

All of this ignores the fact that when something goes down, it never lands where you think it did and where you think it hit the water is never where it actually did.

Sound like fun? -- the last time I went looking for an anchor in the water -- and the guy who lost it knew "exactly where it was" I did a pattern, saw no unusual dimples in the silt, surfaced and said, "go buy a new anchor".

Jerry

I have done this kind of recovery before. Here is what you can expect.

--------

Sound like fun? -- the last time I went looking for an anchor in the water -- and the guy who lost it knew "exactly where it was" I did a pattern, saw no unusual dimples in the silt, surfaced and said, "go buy a new anchor".

Jerry
Thanks. I think the idea has washed out without me saying no. Appreciate all those who contributed constructively. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom