Video: Free-diving with Makos off of Catalina!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exciting

When I saw the subject line I wondered where you were "off Catalina." We go to the Avalon Banks during shark dives and chum all day to get those juvenile makos and small blues in close. We've only tried hand feeding the blues as the makos we get tend to be a bit skittish.

Any idea what the scar on the left side was? Boat prop? Doesn't look like a gaff mark to me, but...

Nice work!

The scar on the side looks like the Mako tangled with something bigger?

Hey Dr.Bill, you're right - that was at avalon banks.

I think the wounds were from a prop but can't be sure. Perhaps they were mating injuries, but they don't really look like bite marks (to my non-forensically trained eye...)

The boat captain was the only one hand feeding the shark. He said he'd never done it before with a mako, but this one was just so relaxed.

I really hope this one survives to full maturity, although, I fear she'll probably be hooked before too long and end up on someone's grill or in someone's soup bowl...

Excellent Alex. I am looking at doing a trip with Gary very soon for one of these trips.

Back
Top Bottom