MBDC closing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fobturbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went to Breakwater to do some dives with a new configuration this morning. My tank wasn't filled, but I figured I could go over to MBDC to get a fill. Parked my car along the wall and then placed Big Bertha (X8-119) over my shoulder and lugged her over to MBDC. As I got closer, I noticed something funny--the lights weren't on yet. Usually from what I remember, they're open pretty early, and it was already past 7 AM.

When I got to their door, they were not open. Wonder what was going on I look around the door, and to my dismay that's when I read the printout sign; they're closing down and trying to get rid of their current inventory. They now open up at 9AM. The first week of liquidation (09/04 - 09/11 or so) they have everything @30% off, then the following week, things become 40%, after that 50%, then???

Talking with my instructor later who happened to be there teaching a Tech class, he had heard that MBDC was barely scraping by. Talking with the owner confirmed that things weren't going well for them--he said that they hadn't had a major equipment sale in a very long time. I guess most folks are like myself and mainly go there to get fills and buy smaller items (i.e. spring fin straps, motion sickness medication, etc).

I'm very sad to see them go. Although they weren't my primary dive shop, it was always great to drop off my tank to fill during surface intervals, knowing I could trust them for a good nitrox fill (unlike the other place nearby, which shall remain unspoken and I have a rant against them from today, but that's for another thread). The owners and staff were always curteous and took care of me.

Today was their last day giving fills, and they start selling off their rental tanks starting tomorrow. Talking with one of the employees there, I asked if any of the rumors of someone looking to take over the spot after they're gone were true. He replied, that he's only a lowly air filler/cashier, and isn't up to date on news, but he doubts someone will take over immediately--more likely wait until summer to open up...

A lot of the stuffs have been picked up, but there are still a few things remaining...

I hope the owners have better luck with their next endeavors.

Sad to see them go. I'm surprised this news wasn't posted sooner. Please keep us posted.

yes it is a pity. A victim of the economy perhaps. It is not surprising that diving enterprises are being hard hit, especially in the sales of major items. It must be hard to get by on weekend customers wanting air fills only. It cuts down our options.

Only the contact page has the old MBDC logo, it appears that they are only sticking with tours/classes/charters from now on.

It is sad to see them go, but honestly theres a lot that built to this point as well. Granted it will be sad to lose probably the largest inventory of dry suit rentals.

I just feel to be a shop that survives you have to offer items and or services that others dont. I know air fills wont keep a shop in business but having banked Nitrox may have helped generate additional foot traffic. Breakwater is pooling with student divers, I know im not a marketing expert but a shop with that much floor space has got to be able to somehow cater to their needs. I realize by the point most students are at Breakwater some shop has already sank their talons into their wallets but there's a chance a good number are still undecided on what to get. Perhaps renting bp/w's or long hose regs or even having some higher end rental regs/bcd's geared more as "demo" equipment at a premium unless you purchase your own or something would have been worth exploring.

All I know is that one time when I was in the shop they were trying to sell me on the idea of an Oxygen bar. Their objective was to lessen SI periods, granted when I asked some questions the final question I had was: Assuming I can come here and instantly get O2 (not wasting time) how do I calculate that say the 100% O2 delivered by a 40% efficient method (this was what they were offering) is going to reduce my SI by how much time?

Anyway in the end its very sad to see them go. Hopefully the new venture works out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom