Lion Fish in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may be opening a big can O worms but I think it may open some ideas as well.
Most of you have heard about the Lion fish finally arriving here in Cozumel. They are native to the South Pacific, and by some error they found their way to Florida around 1992. Having few natural predators, they thrived and spread first north up the Atlantic coast then south into the Caribbean. A few months ago rumors started to spread about them being seen in Cozumel. On the 27th of Feb there was a specimen captured near Punta Sur by the marine park. It is official they are here. :shocked2:
Here is the issue; The non native Lion Fish will definitely affect the local species as they themselves are voracious predators and the local species have poor defenses against them. Apparently large grouper here are able to eat the venomous lion fish but to what degree is yet to be seen. If the marine park here begins a culling operation or allows trained Dive masters or locals to slow the spread, it would only really help on the west side of the island. The east side would become saturated as there would not be sufficient vigilance to keep the numbers down.
Picture this scenario: you are on a dive with your guide and other divers at Palancar, you spot a lion fish and everyone is pleased. The lion fish is actually a beautiful and interesting species, great for photo ops as they don't move very fast. Everyone moves in close, takes pictures and is generally pleased and happy to see such a colorful animal. Then when everyone is done, the dive master/guide takes out a small harpoon and kills it? Not good.:no:
If we let them live, they will change the ecosystem here (to what degree we are not sure). If we kill them, we will not be stopping the problem as they will flourish on the east side anyway and constantly trickle around to the regularly dove areas. Perhaps we would see an increase in large grouper if they can indeed feed on them?
As caretakers of our reefs, this is a difficult issue. Humans constantly affect the environment no matter how good our intentions may be. We can study areas like the Bahamas where the fish has caused significant changes, for better or worse. We know that nature is constantly seeking balance in a very complex chain of life.
The question is, What can we truly do if anything to fix the problem?:confused:

Do nothing. Let nature take it's course. It's called evolution.

Second maybe the people who live and work in Cozumel might get the marine park officials to actually do their job and monitor the illegal fishing that goes on INSIDE the marine park. You know the boats that are out every morning down south?
Try dealing with those issues before you move on to others....

See my post on the Marine park where I address this issue in detail

See my post on the Marine park where I address this issue in detail

Well it looks like they are taking issue with the illegal fishing. My point was what good is it going to do to complain about a possible Lionfish invasion when they can't even keep there own citizens from fishing in the park? Either way the fish population will decrease.
As far as the picture thing, I ended up on his website somehow in the last few months I think through a picture link don't remember. I then noticed a picture of mine from 2003.
He doesn't come on here in public to admit it so he sent me a PM. That right there tells me who he his.

Take private disputes PRIVATE. :shakehead:
Good for Tony sending you a PM that is where you should resolve your issue.

Brian

Pay the local spearfisherman a small bounty on them. I don't think the park should be opened to visitors spearing just due to teh volume that could be. Might be a good way for some locals to make a few dollars when they dont have other biz going on.

Think about the wipe-out of sea urchins in Jamaica and what that did to the ecosystem....devastating...they now have algae reefs!
Christi, removing this invasive species, the lionfish, would hardly be comparable to eradication of life on Jamaican reefs possibly caused by removing urchins. Jamaica's reefs have been under severe overfishing and even direct coral and other animal harvesting pressure for decades. The death of those reefs was pretty much inevitable.
We have had lots of Lionfish in the Tulum area this year. I don't think that it will be possible to stop the spread of these invaders. They are quickly spreading well away from Cozumel. Look out Belize and Honduras, if they aren't there already.

We have had lots of Lionfish in the Tulum area this year. I don't think that it will be possible to stop the spread of these invaders. They are quickly spreading well away from Cozumel. Look out Belize and Honduras, if they aren't there already.
There have been lionfish reports from Belize and Honduras since at least June. They are all over the Western Caribbean.

In Cozumel right now and we saw 3 Lionfish today. Dive guides caught 2 of them.

Back
Top Bottom