Jimena Hits San Carlos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaduced

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
San Carlos, Sonora, took a heavy hit from Jimena. Reports of 27" of rain in 24 hours. What the storm surge didn't reach, the rain runoff from the hills did. Several roadways and bridges have been washed out. Some housing areas had 2-3' of standing water. Many boats in the bahia (bay) slipped their moorings. An owner had to be rescued from his boat after it was driven ashore by the winds. Dry stored boats have washed into roadways. Power and phone service is starting to come back, but is very spotty right now. The water system is out. A qualified mess.

There are pictures posted to several websites, Google San Carlos, Sonora, MX, to get a peek at the damage.

There are many expatriate Americans and Canadians in San Carlos. Officials are recommending, if you don't need to come down, don't. We had planned to go diving this weekend, but will probably contact friends, see what they need and take it down next weekend.

Please keep our American, Canadian and Mexican friends in your thoughts and prayers.

Darell

Went down to San Carlos this past weekend, the dive operations are all back in business. Relief and recovery efforts are in full swing. Water has not been restored to all the housing areas, but they are trucking enough in so nobody is going without.

What they really need now are customers. I took a local two tank trip, to one of my favorite sites, San Antonio Point. Didn't find the seahorses we usually see there, but the octopus, coronet fish, barracuda and the rest of regulars were there.

One thing that struck me as funny, the topside rocks looked odd, then I realized all the white bird guano had been washed away by the storm.

Darell

im from Tucson and heading down there early next month to do some diving. and i was wondering if the roads are alright or if they will be fixed up by than? and there is alot of relief things happening here in to Tucson which is good to see. i hope everything is well and getting better down there.

Thanks for your concerns, the roads to San Carlos are fine, no, they are actually great. Only in San Carlos we are still dealing with the detour from main street around the new gym to the corner of the Extra. That is 1.5 miles I guess. The graders did a nice job fixing the gravel road, so you really don't loose much time. The main road got washed out in front of Totanaka campground. Two days after the storm diving was spectacular at San Pedro Island. The storm mucked up the coastline though and local diving was challenging. I keep up to date conditions on Dive San Carlos - Home and put up some pics of after the storm. I know from people that really lost a lot of as little they have, all the relief and aid is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Johan.

On our trip down the highway was in great shape. The only detour was just as you come to the San Carlos/Guaymas interchange. It slowed us down for a few minutes.

In town, they made a detour around the bridge collapse near the Totanaka Park/Charlie's Rock area. You can get to all of the businesses though.

As you drive around, you'll see a lot of washed out areas and debris, but the cleanup is moving amazingly fast.

If anyone needs info, feel free to post here or PM me.

Back
Top Bottom