Cost to start Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Changing out the mouthpiece may not provide much sanitation. A variety of nasty things may live inside the regulator. These are not often seen until the equipment is disassembled.

one-billion-dollars-austin-powers.jpg

One Hundred Million Dollars.

aww, man! i was gonna say 'one meeelllion dollars' but ren beat me to it.

darn you, ren! [shaking fist]

Since I have a banner telling me I need to post something, here is my 2 cents worth.
I originally spent $100.00 on fins mask and snorkel (wanted to snorkel before we even decided to try scuba). This was 5 years ago. I still use the mask and snorkel but not the original cheap fins. I dove 4 years using only rental equipment, yes I am a vacation diver and dive like 25 to 29 dives on my 2 weeks of vacation each year. This year I splurged and took advantage of the ScubaPro thing in February and got BC, regs and computer, all new for $1200 obviously I did not get the basic equipment but a Knighthawk and a MK 25/600 reg set. I use a used shortie I got at a garage sale for $15.

As far as the mouthpiece, my wife used her own on rental equipment for 2 years before she bought a reg. Just took off the 1 on the rental and put hers on with a ziptie every day and at the end of the day put the rental one back on. She even had the divemasters help her when she needed it (she did it for a comfort reason not just sanitation).

I was asked once: If you were to go on a dive trip and could only take a piece or two of your gear, what would it be? My answer, in order of importance to me, is:

Mask first! The annoyance of a poorly fitting mask is very distracting. Constant leaks can turn the best dive into a struggle, taking time away from enjoying the beauty of the dive.

Regulator/Computer... I have a custom mouthpiece for my regulator. It is worth every penny to me. I don't feel myself clamping down on it for an hour at a time. It locks into place comfortably. I would not want to swap out my mouthpiece each time I wanted to dive because different regulators attach the mouth piece differently. Besides, I'm lazy and its easier to simply bring my own. My computer is configured exactly as I want it so I don't have to stop and interpret what I see. Besides, it helps me maintain my electronic log book, which is more comprehensive than my paper log book.

Those are my "must have" items. Fins, c-card and paper logbook, and dive light are serious wants, but if I had to dive without mine, I could get by. Everything else can be rented if I HAD to.

Expect to pay between $500 and $1,000 to become certified in Northern California. That will get you books, lessons, mask, snorkel, fins, gas to and from Monterey, dinner, and various rental stuff.

Oh I almost forgot. I am pretty weird about sharing gear - is there a way to buy your own regulator (just the mouth piece actually) and not the entire octo?

You need to get over that quickly. There will be mandatory air sharing drills as part of the course where you will be using your buddy's octopus.

You need to get over that quickly. There will be mandatory air sharing drills as part of the course where you will be using your buddy's octopus.

Can be worse than just using someones octopus. Currently if I have to share with you, you woul dget my primary since I have not yet changed out the Air II that was part of my package deal. Luckily the only buddy I currently dive with is my wife and she says she has shared at least spit with me enough times it does not bother her, just the short hose does.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom