New Mares Isotherm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife bought an Isotherm last year and now we are trying to find someone to buy it off of us. Its main problem is that this semi-dry ends up being more of a full flood wetsuit then her old wet suit was. Here was her problem, because there is no exhaust valve, any trapped air in the suit tryst to escape when you jump into the water. She tried doing the scrunch yourself up into a little ball thing to get the air out, but she could never get it all. So as soon as she jumped into the water, the air was blown out of the neck seal. The neck seal was then really hard to tuck back in, especially with a hood on. She also would get a lot of flooding in and out of the arm seals if she would lift her arm early in a dive, the air would rush right out (and water in).

Her suit fit pretty well, but unless it was custom fit perfectly to you (i.e. no bunching areas that you cant get the air out of before the dive) prepare to be colder then in a good 7mm wetsuit. Or do what we are doing, save your money and just get a dry suit.

Well, I dont know about the new one but I definately own the previous model in off the rack medium (European as opposed to the American model - The one displayed in the picture in the posted link is the European modle BTW).

Putting it on is far more of a chore than any other suit I own to be sure. It also can not be donned fully alone as the dry zip in the back is impossible - for me anyway - to pull up solo. So far I've been down to 38 degrees F and been roasty toasty.

The suit isnt intended to keep water out and the air in. It is intended to be donned with a warm water filling. It then should trap the warm water and not let it escape. If shore diving I put it on in the shower whereas boat diving I bring a hot water bag with me to fill up. This has the dual functions of starting off warm as well as forcing any air out.

I found it very difficult to get more water into the suit once I was in the ocean. Actually had to fight with the seals once to let some cold water in cause I felt to hot.

I suspect Matt is correct however that fit is everything.

Spydertek

I've only been able to make 3 dives with my Isotherm; however, I like it. I had the air problem on the first dive and it was a real nuisance. A couple of weeks later I made my 2d and 3d dive and the suit worked fine. It let a little water in but the air problem was gone.

On the 2d dive, I squeezed as much air out as possible before the zipper was completely zipped. I kept stretching to make sure the suit was as tight as possible as the zipper closed and that kept a lot of air out. However, there will be some air in it if you want to be "semi-dry".

When I fall into the water from the boat, I get an injection of cold water but after that it's fine. I think I've read that some people go to a suit "tailor" (whatever they are called) and have the seals altered. Your wife may need to do that or do something else to tighten the seals.

I really don't like the zipper that requires a dive buddy to zip you in. I'm not sure why they put it on the back instead of the front. That is my only real complaint though.

I'm having to work with getting on enough, but not too much, weight to go down. I've redone my weight since my last dive but haven't had a chance to try it because the seas have been so rough.

How many times has your wife been down with her Isotherm??

Sailor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom