Aqua Cat vs Nekton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Joe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking of taking an Aqua Cats liveaboard in October and there seem to only be a few references to them in the forums. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with them? I was also considering a the St. Croix itinerary with Nekton, but they seem to be having some issues according to recent posts to the board. Any comments?

Thanks

Hello!

My wife and I dove with Aqua Cat in Aug 2006. It was awesome. We're going with another boat in their fleet next July, Blackbeard Cruises.

It was our first live aboard.

The food was great, the diving was awesome, the accommodations were fantastic and the staff were terrific.

It is a big boat with a lot of divers, but you never felt as if you were diving with a lot of folks.

A few people, people that I would describe as resort divers, who had both been on the Nekton Cruises and Aqua Cat pointed out one difference between the two services. A difference that would lean me towards Aqua Cat again vs. Nekton. They complained how the DM's did not dive much with the clients or guide them around. They did comment how the Aqua Cat was nicer.

The way the day would start was you would get a wake up call over the intercom for breakfast. You'd mosey your way up to breakfast. There would then be an announcement for the dive briefing in 30minutes. At the dive briefing, which was on the middle deck, not the dive deck, they gave a real solid dive briefing. They gave you suggested areas to check out. You'd then make your way down to the dive deck, put your tag 'in water', suit up and wait for the clear that the pool was open. At the end of your dive you'd climb up the ladder, they would take your fins off for you, give you a quick spray with fresh water, hand you your fins and you'd make your way to your dive locker. There you would undo your reg from the tank and let it hang. The DM's would then come around and fill your tank. Once filled you were responsible for hooking your reg back up and checking your air. They also did offer 32% EAN.

They did offer other things to do other than diving. Something on an SI they would take the Sea Dog (the big chase boat) out for some fishing. We did a couple hour trip to the Exumas National Sea Park. They took a group over to an island where they had iguanas that you could feed grapes to. In fact, we went to Stinson Cay and got to see swimming pigs and swim into the cave used in the James Bond movie, Thunderball.

We did some drift dives. The dive deck has 5 exit points. Two are down the back pontoons and two are off the sides and one is out of the back middle. The ones out the sides and back are 5-6' drops. At first, it was rather intimidating to do the big drops, but it was actually a lot of fun. For the drift dives everyone had to jump out of the boat moving under power at close to the same time. That was a blast.

There were wall dives.

We did a blue hole dive.

In all it was a blast. The only negative is the price tag. You did get your monies worth. I'd defiantly recommend it.

One thing that was nice about the boat being so big was you could actually find areas in which you could escape from the other divers if you wanted. Frankly you also had your room as well.

We made one mistake. We got there way, way to early. We could stash our gear on the boat, but we could not board the boat. They have to get it ready. We spent 6 hours milling around Atlantis. All we wanted to do was to take a nap. I'd plan it so that if you can board at 4:30pm that you get to the boat by 4:00-4:15pm. You are not going to miss anything.

Some of the guests took their Nitrox class while there!

Below are a couple of photos from our trip on the Aqua Cat.

Attachments

• dr1.jpg
    dr1.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 161
  • ex9.jpg
    ex9.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 139
  • pig7.jpg
    pig7.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 137
  • bl2.jpg
    bl2.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 286
I have not been on Nekton but I have done the Aqua Cat liveaboard twice (2005 & 2006). I had a great time both times, did many interesting dives, and would not hesitate to do it again. Their itinerary is made for divers... don't expect shore excursions for shopping. The cabins are spacious and there are plenty of places to relax throughout the boat if you decide to skip a dive. The food was terrific and plentiful.

the biggest difference between the two is WHERE they dive.
Aquacat is in the Northeast part of Bahamas, always the same area
Nekton has 3 different Bahamas itineraries - Northwest area (different than Aquacat), the Medio Reef and Cay Sal Bank (both southern area)

I would pick between the two boats depending on what you want to do. I have done the Nekton Medio and Cay Sal itineraries and loved them both. I would not hesitate to use them again or use the Aquacat. I have heard that there are more beginner divers and non-divers on the Aquacat but that doesn't bother me. Nekton doesn't have DM lead dives but a DM is available for every dive if you need one, just ask. The Nekton Cay Sal itinerary has more advanced dives than the others, so I wouldn't recommend it for newbies (some very deep, some drift).

robin:D

I've heard Aqua Cat is great, but have no personal experience.

I dove the Nekton Pilot very recently and had an awesome time; however, I've heard the St. Croix itinerary isn't so hot.

I'm thinking of taking an Aqua Cats liveaboard in October and there seem to only be a few references to them in the forums. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with them? I was also considering a the St. Croix itinerary with Nekton, but they seem to be having some issues according to recent posts to the board. Any comments?

Thanks

They both look great..... but read the fine print on both of them.

Lots of "add on costs" now days with any liveaboard. Port Taxes, departure taxes, Fuel surcharges, marine park fees, extra for Nitrox, and don't forget crew tipping. It all adds up in a hurry!

I have done 5 trips on the Aquacat, and 22 trips on the Nekton Boats. Here is a comparison of the two companies. I was on the Pilot last week, and am going back on the Aquacat in 3 weeks.

Price - Aquacat slightly higher

Itineraries - Aquacat only does the Exumas out of Nassau. One of the best shark feeding dives in the Bahamas. Nekton has many Itineraries, and I have enjoyed all of them more than Aquacat's (except for St. Croix - which I thought really sucked). So Nekton wins out in this catagory if you want variety on repeat trips.

Dive deck - Both are very comfortable, Aquacat is less crowded. Nekton has 2 outside showers, while Aquacat has 2 enclosed showers on the dive deck-which is really nice because you can change out of you suit and get a good shower after your dive.

Nitrox - Nekton is a hit or miss with frequent system outages, and usually only 28% fio2. I have not ever seen Aquacats nitrox system go down, and is usually 32%

Activities - Pretty much just diving with Nekton (which is great for me), Aquacat always has alternative activities during the day, such as beach excursions, fishing, lobstering in season (which my wife enjoys).

Aquacat gives prizes for the photo contest. I won a free dive trip with them, which I took this May.

Crew- Aquacat has hgher crew retention rate, so they opperate in a smooth, professional fashion (high class). Nekton usually has a VERY high turnover rate (newbies on the dive deck usually). They try hard BUT......

Staterooms - Aquacat's are larger (except cabin #11) and much better maintained. Nekton statrooms usually have moldy areas in the bathrooms, wet carpets from leaks in air conditioner, poorly functioning climate control (some of these issues may be delt with on the Nekton Pilot during her upcoming refit).

Food - Nekton has adequate tasty comfort food. Aquacat could compete with a 3 to 3 1/2 star restaurant (VERY GOOD FOOD). Aquacat supplies free soda/wine/beer/rum/vodka. Nekton only supplies crystal light and some fruit juices.

Camera tables - Nekton's camera tables are far superior and roomier than Aquacat's.

Stability - Nekton boats are more stable

Common areas - Aquacat is spotless and well appointed, Nekton is shabby and old

So, both have their strong and weak points. I average 2 trips per year on Nekton, and 1 or 2 trips per year on Aquacat. Hope this helps

Last edited:
great comparison! thanks...

Dive deck - Both are very comfortable, Aquacat is less crowded. Nekton has 2 outside showers, while Aquacat has 2 enclosed showers on the dive deck-which is really nice because you can change out of you suit and get a good shower after your dive.

I've been on one liveaboard that had a enclosed shower on deck. it was really nice for the exact reasons you posted, you could change out of your suit and shower off easily.

Nitrox - Nekton is a hit or miss with frequent system outages, and usually only 28% fio2. I have not ever seen Aquacats nitrox system go down, and is usually 32%

Nekton used to could only do 6 people nitrox. I heard they either were or had added to that ? can you verify? (yeah I've heard the same thing about 28% also from others who have gone.)

Crew- Aquacat has hgher crew retention rate, so they opperate in a smooth, professional fashion (high class). Nekton usually has a VERY high turnover rate (newbies on the dive deck usually). They try hard BUT......

doesn't Nekton rotate their crews on/off? does this account for the many different faces or just higher turnover?

Common areas - Aquacat is spotless and well appointed, Nekton is shabby and old

You'd figure that the Nekton boats wouldn't seem that way as they aren't really that old. One was completed in 1994 and the other in 2000. oh well.

again, thanks for the comparison.

Mike S, I think Nekton can handle 10 nitrox divers. But you will only get "nitrox lite" (28%
AT BEST).

When I mentioned newbies, I mean with the company less than 3 weeks.

With respect to condition of the staterooms, and common areas, I don't think that it is because of the chronological age of the 2 Nekton boats, but lack of adequate reinvestment of funds for maintenance.

As far as Divemasters guiding clients, I don't see it on either boat, unless it is a drift dive, or a client requests it.

As far a quality of divers that are on the boats, I have not noticed a difference! I have seen great divers on both , I have also seen my fair share of "strokes" on both Nekton boats and Aquacat.

The AquaCat is the most comfortable liveaboard I have ever been on. That's not a small thing. I'm a liveaboard addict.

The food is superb. The staff is attentive. The main salon is cavernous, comfortable, and clean as a whistle. The diving itinerary includes some wonderful sites.

I cannot recommend the AquaCat highly enough. Book it. You'll be glad you did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom