Want to start Rebreather training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes i know as well as any diver in any type of dive specialty...

my sac rate is pretty good as well, with an AL 80 at 130' after i convert to depth from 15.13 psi at the surface pretty much gives me aprox 40 mins at depth

Hmm...are you saying you can do a 40min dive at 130' on an AL80?

That's a damn good SAC rate then, because at a .5 RMV v-planner tells me I need 112 cu ft of gas to do 40min at 130' - not to mention needing 25min of deco including 100% at 20' and above.

i hope you don't mean what this says...

i hate to just come right out & call bs, but i'm sure leaning that way.

RJP- i don't have one of my convert tables in front of me to double check this but with a SAC of 16.00 psi per min (data collected over a period of dives) at surface thats 16.00 psi (avarage for me) x 4.30= 68.8 now if i am correct 3000psi/68.8= aprox 40 mins (w/o reserve), now of course NDL would be for Air 10mins , for EAN 32 at aprox 1.6 with EAD of 107' (round up to 110') is aprox 16 mins of diving within NDL, now just as an example a dive i did about a few months ago on the Capt Dan Wreck (110' max) we dove between 90'-106' on that dive i used EAN 34, and the Bottom time was 31 mins i had 1150psi of gas remaining after the dive...

babyduck- what I ment by that was that any diver that is way over confident, or thinks he/she knows it all will most likely end up being injured, or even killed diving with that type of attitude.

I will repeat what I said earlier: "I am sorry I had even asked", I was just looking for a quick answer, not a thread with divers talking about my mom, questioning me about what I know etc...

I'm guessing Atomic was responding to this:
Don't act recklessly to prove something. Rebreather divers with too much bravado are the ones who end up being dead rebreather divers.

he said:

I"m guessing he meant:
"yes I know, as well ***is the case with*** any diver in any type of dive specialty..."

hey Atomic, let me state something that might help you deal with the hyper sensitive dynamic here, be very humble in your communications and do your best to avoid saying things that can be construed as overly egotistical, it's becoming of any aspiring rebreather diver or rebreather diver of any level (or any diver of any kind for that matter).

We are all very sensitive to how it appears that over confidence may be one of the leading causes of fatalities on rebreathers... it does appear that all to often it's not the newbies but the most accomplished, confident, seasoned diver doing relatively mundane dives that make the simple yet fatal mistakes.

I'm not sure how long you've been reading up on this stuff, but the high fatality rate of CCR's (particularly eCCR's: 1-2% of users depending on who's numbers you use) is deeply disturbing to both rebreather and non-rebreather divers alike. the issue is hyper-charged, don't take it personally that people will caution you every step of the way, in fact take heed and move forward only when you are truly ready, knowing you are just as prone to human imperfections as anyone of us and that your age probably does add one more factor to be taken into consideration.

those who are coming from integrity, rather than their own ego trips, simply don't want you to be the subject of the next tragic accident.

Kind Regards,
George

Last edited:
If you are 16 now, how about this suggestion? No matter what your age, you should research this thoroughly. Spend some time researching this issue before reaching a decision on a particular unit, and on your instructor.

Buy and read Understanding Rebreathers (also known as Mastering Rebreathers in some editions). Find a CCR instructor that will allow you to audit the lecture portion of a CCR class, maybe even a few different ones since classes are often unit specific. This will give you some good information about how rebreathers work in general, and about several different units out there more specifically. This will also give you an idea of some of the issues/risks involved in rebreather diving.

Spend some time diving with willing CCR divers while you are on open circuit. Talk to them about their respective units, issues, service requirements, etc. There are several good units on the market. Some might be right for you, and some might not be a good choice for you. Take the time to find out about what makes a good choice before deciding on a particular unit.

Now, I am going to guess that it will take a good six months or more to do all of this. By then, I'll bet that you will either be 17 or very close to that. Once you reach that point, you will be less than a year away from being able to take the course as an adult rather than having to search for a way to complete your training before reaching 18. You'll also be able to chart new units coming on the market, upgrades to current units and the like. By then, you will have a very good picture of what unit is the right one for you.

Spend some time finding the right instructor. Beyond competence, you need one that is a good match for you. This will make all the difference in the world for your training, and for that important connection you will need for mentorship long after the formal class is over.

Rack up some more dives, and gain experience. Keep training, and keep learning. This will make your CCR training that much more beneficial. It will also make it easier. (Well, except for that buoyancy thing, but I will keep that a surprise for when you are in the water on your unit for the first times. :depressed:)

In the end, only you can decide what is right for you. However, you should not shortchange yourself by doing whatever you can just to find a way to get a unit, and to start training on it now. Go for the long term best benefit for your diving career. After all, you do plan to be doing this for a long time to come, don't you? :)

There is one last suggestion I am going to make. Before you make your final decision, buy and read this book: Diving into Darkness. It is great reading, not at all boring. I now require this of my students that wish to take advanced level training in CCR diving. However, it is the kind of book that any diver, especially CCR divers and candidates, will find as a great read. (My web site has links to the books that I mention here.)

Good luck in the search.

RJP- Correction, I made a slight error yesterday, after going over my tables later I relized that it is 4.94, and not 4.30, so the calculation for my correction comes to: 16.00x4.94= 79, now 3000/79= 37 mins (still close to 40) with a single AL 80 (w/o reserve) as for no deco still that means if you dive air than 10 mins max, with EAN 32 (according to an EAD of 110') that gives you 16 mins, so no I can't stay at 130' for 37 mins and expect not to get bent, I would need more gas for a reserve, and gas for deco + a plan for the deco dive.

ScubaDadMiami- Thanks for the advice, I really enjoy reading books, and I will look into getting it soon...

Back
Top Bottom