Visas and departure taxes in KL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings ....

I got plenty of good information here a couple of months back about hotels and transportaion as we travel through KL on our way to Manado/Bunaken. But I just realized what I didn't inquire about is visas and departure taxes. We'll be spending one night in KL at the start of our trip, and three nights at the end, about three weeks later.

A little research tells me no visa required to enter and leave Malaysia twice, about three weeks apart. Correct?

And regarding departure tax, I am finding RM 40 for international flights, which would occur on the front end of our trip as we depart KL for Manado, and on the end of our trip, as we depart KL for Hong Kong.

Am I correct with the above info? And what kind of payment is acceptable for departure tax? Cash? RM only? Credit card?

Thanks for any info!

You won't need a visa to enter and reenter Malaysia. On the plane, they will give you a form to complete. It gets stamped along with your passport. They will hand one bit back to you which you should keep for when you leave the country. Don't lose it - I think there's a fine if you can't present it. You will be allowed to stay for up to three months.

When you enter Manado, you are eligible for a 'visa on arrival' ((Consular and Visa). The VOA is limited to only certain entry points but I believe the Sam Ratulangi International Airport in Manado is one of them but you might want to check. It's about USD10 or so.

As for the Malaysian departure tax. It should be incorporated with the airline ticket. I've never had to pay it separately.

Yes, you can do a VOA in Manado, and it's now IDR 150000, almost exactly US $15 right now. Thanks for the Malaysian info.

Back
Top Bottom