conshelf Questions lots of them??? military???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advertisement says
"New and Improved",
translation, "we can make it for less and sell it for more"

If the guy wants a brass and chrome Conshelf, let him get one. He will either enjoy it and love it or hate it. There are plenty of new equipments that is very good. Oxy Cheq wings, Freedom Plates, Dive Rite torches, Scuba Pro has a new all metal regulator and they still have the venerable Jets, Atomic has some great stuff and especially their Frameless mask.

But I think a fellow could outfit himself with some classic if not vintage gear and do quite well and not look like "that" guy who just came from the "lds" (whatever that is, everyone is always going on about THEIR lds, I did not know so many people owned a scuba retail store?) and spent his pay for the month.

Good luck.

N

note: "that guy" is from the TV commercial and references no specific individual or animals

Sorry. That nqvyseals website is bogus. Has no relationship with the real Seals. Totally bogus and their gear sucks. Go to a LDS and try stuff on. For example masks are very personal. Fit the most important thing. I love force fins (ex-army Ranger) but some do not. Bottom line have fun exlporing the gear thing. It's one of the most fun things in the sport!

Your right, rocket fins and duck feet are garbage, worst scuba gear ever created.

Oh, by the way, what unit are you with?

I am a new diver so I will see what I can try to answer for the best of my knowledge.

U.S. Divers 180* nose purge mask w/neo pad strap
U.S. Divers 100% sumergable snorkle (Bomber type)
Scuba Pro Jet Fins
scuba Neo boots
Scuba toys Mesh gear bag

Look in the bright side you have your whole snorkel package ready to go and the stuff you have picked should last you a very long time and probably less than 300.00 altogether. Shoots enough to take a class with rentals I know you want to have your own gear before your class and that is cool too. The plus side you will be familiar with your own gear by the time you do your first open water dives.

is the US Divers 80cu 3000 psi aluminum used tanks worth picking up??? for starters?
how hard is it to get it inspected and servicible if one hasnt been used in a long time???

I will have to say this would not be a wise idea. Like everyone has said before. The cost effectiveness is sometimes better to rent if you do not dive enough as you have intended to.

For example, you purchase a used aluminum 80cu 3000psi tank for 100.00 without visual (this has to be done from a certified member in a reputable scuba shop every year) The cost can be 15.00-20.00. If the tank is over 5 years old then the tank has to be Hydrostatic tested (again in a reputable scuba shop whom they will send it off to their contracted testing facility to get this done.) Also, Hydrostatic testing has to be done on all your SCUBA tanks every 5 years. This can cost about 25.00-say 40.00 a tank.

In total, that one tank has cost you low balling a 140.00. You could rent your tanks for 7.00 to 10.00 at a time and most dive shops will work around you on tank rentals. I say rent for now and see if you can find a pattern in how many times you dive in a year. If you feel you have the urge to have your own I will suggest to find two steel scuba tanks instead.

As for the coneshelf I haven't use them before so I cannot talk about them. It seems as everyone has mentioned it is a good and durable regulator and it is probably just beating a dead horse issue.

I do see why you may like the military type reg, you know it may not be the best, the flashiest, probably very durable but most of all it plain works and makes you happy. This gear set up probably even makes you feel more at home. Good luck to you.

Well I do agree with much of what you said except the troll part and the misinformed part. That is what is inherently wrong with this board. God forbid someone has a different view and he's labeled a troll!! I stand by my statement. Advertsing aside. Of couse the basic design of regulators have changed ad well as the kinds of materials to make them. So enough of the troll business "father time". Keep telling youself that the model t you have in your garage us every bit as good as those new fangeled motor cars. Please. Time marches on and so does better scuba gear. Proud to be a troll!

Luis is correct, the conshelf has not really changed in about 30 years. As a matter of fact the orifice diameter of the conshelf VI and conshelf 22 are the same. The seats are the same design, and the built in venturi assist is the same. That is not a troll, that is a simple matter of fact. Luis is an engineer, and he does this stuff for a living. I rebuilt regulators professionally and I call him with my questions.

Mud diver is also correct. The stuff Navyseals.com sells is all military issue quality. They are nice guys, and they fund lots of charities for the families of the guys who do not come home. Mud diver is also an expert in his field. He is a commercially rated diver, avid sport diver, and a veteran as well.

Abraham Lincoln once said "It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool then to open it and remove all doubt."

-Chaos 30 out.

I have all US divers regs and love them. I have 20 year old conshelfs and some newer Arctics, with SEA first stages. The problem that I now have with all of them is getting rebuild kits. Dealers here in Ottawa are telling me that they will not be available from Aqualung much longer. Since dealers will not sell to me so that I can stock up, I may be in a position soon where I will not be able to service my regs.
This is not a knock on US Divers, as other brands may be in the same boat. I merely want to let the first poster know that he needs to keep repair considerations in mind when he decides.

Grant.
Your dealer is giving you a line of BS....probably wants to sell you a new reg.
The Conshelf, SEA 1st stages use the same seat/rebuild parts as the current Titan.

i really appreciate all the info gentleman,

i sure am glad i have you Guro's to guid me... the whole pupose of me wanting the older milspec stuf is just that its Mil Spec... and i'm looking to try and get it cheap... and like some one on here said "makes you feel more at home" hit right on the money. cant help it thats just how i am... if i buy a pair of work boots i'm looking for gi issue, my camping gear all milspec / surplus stuff... i love REI for what its worth but when i look at all ther fancy pancy real expensive civilian camping out soors stuff i just shake my head and chuckle and then go to army navy surplus and by milspec that in my own opinion is WAY BETTER MADE for fraction of the cost... sorry folks but when you lug something around for 8 yrs it kinda grows on you.. if it aint OD GREEN, Flat Black, or Desert... then it aint getting bought by me.. ( to a certain degree anyhow) lol...

castanagajt : i think i paid close to around $110 u.s. for above listed snorkle gear, i bought hear and there and all was bought new except for the jet fins were used i give $40 for those..
but everything ended up for about $110 bucks.

U.S. Divers 180* nose purge mask w/neo pad strap
U.S. Divers 100% sumergable snorkle (Bomber type)
Scuba Pro Jet Fins
scuba Neo boots
Scuba toys Mesh gear bag

it might not be the best but i like it... and it makes me happy... for starters..
i love the jet fins are great...

muddiver: i was with :
Headquaters Btry, 2nd Battalion, 14th Marines, 4th MarDiv and was attached to 2nd Marine Division and even did some work for 4th Marine Regiment

and your usual MCRD San Deiago, pendletan and schools battalion Camp Delmare,
i did a few things here and there! nothng worth bragging about...

Luis: i thnk you sir for your proffesional advis and i will take it to heart... will probably be investing in the XIV or XXI

my main consern for price is i will be buying serveral rigs not just one for myself... i mentioned on my profile that i work with a group of kids as thier coach of sort on a youth group team i kinda started up to help out a few kids stay out of trouble... and well allthough i wis i could get the whole team certified and diving for now im only paying for myself and the 2 team capts. soo actually trying to buy for three and picking up as much scuba/snorkle gear as posible for future team events...

Don't get too caught up in the idea of them having to be milspec.....a conshelf is a conshelf is a conshelf. You'll find that the ones I mentioned earlier will suit your needs better. The pre 14's don't have enough LP ports to run an inflator and alternate 2nd stage.
Most people are supporting your choice of reg not because it is milspec but because the Conshelf will give you the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom