Gear Review, Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen so many new divers make this same mistake over and over again. What you are doing is equal to walking in to a single car dealership, say Ford, and checking out what they have. The car is comfortable but how do you know it is the right car if you don't check out other cars from the same manufacturer and then cars from the other manufacturer to see how they compare? Nothing is wrong with test driving cars from all of the manufactuers only to return to the first dealer to buy that car.

What you feel is a "good fit" on this BC may not compare to a better fit another brand could offer. You're limiting yourself by only looking at the options your LDS is giving you. If you don't want to shop around thats fine but if the only reason you're selecting this paticular gear is based on what your LDS has and that it "fits" you're setting yourself up for regret.

My wife bought a Scubapro Ladyhawk because it too was comfortable... and just 20 dives in she realized that it wasn't as good of a fit as she thought.

We built a backplate and wing setup that she loved. When it came time to do Dive Con training the shop wanted you in leadership quality gear that the store carried so she bought a Scubapro Bella. Two BCs later she found one that she absoutley loves. She too thought that her previous two BCs were great... but as time would tell there was a much better BC in the same price range as what we spent on the previous two.

The moral of the story is it will never hurt to shop around and try different gear. Here are a couple of articles about women's BCs. Read about them, the pros and the cons. Understanding the pros and the cons about the gear you're looking at helps you make an educated decision.

BCs For Women | Scuba Diving Magazine
and
Best women's BCDs tested

Some reviews on the Luna BC:

Sherwood 2009 Luna Women´s BC LUN901 with reviews at scuba.com (2009 model)
Buy Sherwood luna BC LUN501 with reviews at scuba.com (2008 model)
Sherwood Luna BCD with CQR Weight Integration System (Hit the reviews tab, 2008 model)

There is absoutley nothing wrong about your gear choices, I just want to try to show you that there is a lot of other gear out there to check out too. Don't get tunnle vision, keep an open mind and any gear you decide to purchase will be a good investment.

Learn about the draw backs of the gear you're going to buy by researching it here on the forum and from reviews of people who own it. Someone displeased about their BC would be willing to share their take on what makes them unhappy so someone else doesn't make a mistake.

I've seen so many new divers make this same mistake over and over again. What you are doing is equal to walking in to a single car dealership, say Ford, and checking out what they have. The car is comfortable but how do you know it is the right car if you don't check out other cars from the same manufacturer and then cars from the other manufacturer to see how they compare? Nothing is wrong with test driving cars from all of the manufactuers only to return to the first dealer to buy that car.

What you feel is a "good fit" on this BC may not compare to a better fit another brand could offer. You're limiting yourself by only looking at the options your LDS is giving you. If you don't want to shop around thats fine but if the only reason you're selecting this paticular gear is based on what your LDS has and that it "fits" you're setting yourself up for regret.

My wife bought a Scubapro Ladyhawk because it too was comfortable... and just 20 dives in she realized that it wasn't as good of a fit as she thought.

We built a backplate and wing setup that she loved. When it came time to do Dive Con training the shop wanted you in leadership quality gear that the store carried so she bought a Scubapro Bella. Two BCs later she found one that she absoutley loves. She too thought that her previous two BCs were great... but as time would tell there was a much better BC in the same price range as what we spent on the previous two.

The moral of the story is it will never hurt to shop around and try different gear. Here are a couple of articles about women's BCs. Read about them, the pros and the cons. Understanding the pros and the cons about the gear you're looking at helps you make an educated decision.

BCs For Women | Scuba Diving Magazine
and
Best women's BCDs tested

Some reviews on the Luna BC:

Sherwood 2009 Luna Women´s BC LUN901 with reviews at scuba.com (2009 model)
Buy Sherwood luna BC LUN501 with reviews at scuba.com (2008 model)
Sherwood Luna BCD with CQR Weight Integration System (Hit the reviews tab, 2008 model)

There is absoutley nothing wrong about your gear choices, I just want to try to show you that there is a lot of other gear out there to check out too. Don't get tunnle vision, keep an open mind and any gear you decide to purchase will be a good investment.

Learn about the draw backs of the gear you're going to buy by researching it here on the forum and from reviews of people who own it. Someone displeased about their BC would be willing to share their take on what makes them unhappy so someone else doesn't make a mistake.

Thanks for the input and links.

I'm researching and trying to catch up on the lingo, trying to learn the gear and everything else.

I will definitley visit the other dive shop and see what brands they carry.

Once again thanks!

I am relatively new to the Scuba world, but have absolutely fallen in love with it, and decided to invest in some gear. I read articles in the Scuba magazines and websites, and started testing out a variety of BCs from different manufacturers. I was about set on purchasing a setup, when I happened upon ScubaBoard and started reading about this "BP&W" setup-- which everyone loved. I had no idea what it was for a bit, and eventually found that it translated to a "Backplate and Wing".

I had seen some of the backplate and "technical" rigs at my my local dive store, and it seemed pretty advanced, complex, and well beyond what I needed. As I did more research, however, I came to appreciate the idea of keeping things simple and streamlined, without all of the additional drag of the typical commercial BCs. Further, BP&W rigs will essentially last forever-- if the harness (webbing) wears out, you can replace it for about $13. It will always fit you perfectly, as it is infinitely adjustable-- and it is really easy to pack for travel. I just purchased two setups-- one for myself and one for my Fiancee (who just got certified), and we used them in Belize. They are fantastic. They look pretty wild, but they are incredibly comfortable in the water, and they are super easy to dive with. They are also less expensive than the commercial BCs, last much longer, and are capable of growing with you as you advance in skill. I'd highly recommend checking it out before you commit to a standard vest style rig.

Regards,

--Jarett

As a new diver, I bought gear based on what my instructor suggested. I love all my gear. Although I sometimes think a wrist computer would be better than mine, but then they cost more.

Depending on who you talk to you will probably get differing opinions on most of the gear... some say they would only use a backplate and wing (BCD) others say a jacket style is the only way to go. Jacket style BCDs provide more stability at the surface (and they are stable at the surface, I have one). Backplate and wings are supposed to do more for you at depth, I can't speak to this I've never used one.

Advice I can give, all the shops here service the gear they sell, "D" rings are a must, you will find there is always something else you need to clip to your BCD. The class usually says something to the effect of buy your own gear and you will dive more... This is true. Finally, If you are only planning to dive warm waters, I take to mean vacation diving, and not dive locally renting gear for a while might make sense for you. That way you have experience with different types and brands. However, even if you have to rent, I would suggest diving locally as much as possible before your vacation dive because of the experience you will gain.

I've been in all the shops here and most of the brands and gear sold locally are pretty much going to get the job done for you. It all comes down to a matter of preference.

One more thing... There are actually three dive shops in the area, one in Johnson City, one in Kingsport; and one in Bristol. They are all very nice people, seem knowledgeable, and seem to genuinely want to help their students and customers. Check them all out before you buy, talk to them and see who you feel more comfortable with. If you need names, numbers or adresses of the local shops message me and I will be glad to help.

Back
Top Bottom